The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
Hmmm then you're mostly all set. Just need to pick up a milwaukee reg combo on ebay and some glass. Goodluck!
I would not recommend the Milwaukee regulator combo. While it is cheap, the stock needle valve will likely give much grief as it is not the most steady needle valve out there.

If you really want to buy the Milwaukee, then I would recommend that you at least upgrade the needle valve.

Otherwise, buying the parts separately may still be cheaper than buying regulator combos.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not recommend the Milwaukee regulator combo. While it is cheap, the stock needle valve will likely give much grief as it is not the most steady needle valve out there.

If you really want to buy the Milwaukee, then I would recommend that you at least upgrade the needle valve.

Otherwise, buying the parts separately may still be cheaper than buying regulator combos.
i

Where can I buy the parts? Any specific brand?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I usually recommend these:

They are on sale now for $116.99 at the Doctors

I have three of these systems and have never had a single problem. Do not use the nylon seal/washer that comes with it as they tend to get stuck. And you will probably have to zip tie the output of the bubble counter. Otherwise rock solid.

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
i

Where can I buy the parts? Any specific brand?
For regulators, any dual stage regulator (Concoa, Victor, Matheson) will be more than sufficient. You can also get quality single stage regulators (Cornelius) which will also be excellent.

For needle valves, the Fabco NV55, Ideal or Swagelok are all excellent brands.

For the solenoid, most people use Clippard, Burkert or more recently, the cheap Parker solenoids found on eBay.

They are a clippard distributor and you can get the solenoid, needle valve, check valve, tubing, and fittings that you would need for a stock regulator.
I would not recommend the Clippard needle valve, as it is not much better than the stock needle valves on the Milwaukee, JBJ, Azoo or Aquamedic regulators. It is definitely worth the few extra dollars to upgrade to a Fabco NV55 at the very least.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Do it yourself cheap Co2 system:
Prices are approx with shipping:

Draught Technologies Regulator - 48.00
Brass 1/4x1/8 adapter, hose barb - 10.00
Fabco NV55 Needlevalve - 28.00
Bubble Counter - 10.00
Brass check valves x 2 - 28.00
5 lb CO2 Cylinder - 60.00
Co2 fill (5 lbs) - 17.00
Drop Checker - 25.00

subtotal - 226.00

Optional:
Clippard Solenoid - 48.00

Note:

I went with paintball tanks because of space. With 2 x 20oz tanks and an adapter, the price is roughly equivalent with a 5 lb tank.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/h_bosman/4115333270/in/set-72157622829944660/

If you look at these DIY prices, you are not to far off of what Greenleaf or Sumo would charge for something a little more elegant.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Might not last as long as you'd like. I have a 90g with a 10# tank and it'll last about 3-4 months at most.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
what about the paintball tanks. are they alright to use?. i,ll be setting up my 1st 75/ wco2. i plan a timer rather than a controller
My guess is that using a paintball tank on a tank that size would be more of a hassel. You will be filling it often depending on how much you are injecting. I would go with at least a 5lb tank for a 75g. I beleive the cost of filling the 20oz will far pass the cost of a 5lb tank and refills in a year.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My guess is that using a paintball tank on a tank that size would be more of a hassel. You will be filling it often depending on how much you are injecting. I would go with at least a 5lb tank for a 75g. I beleive the cost of filling the 20oz will far pass the cost of a 5lb tank and refills in a year.
I use paintball on a 46 gallon bowfront it works fine but, I wouldn't advise it on a 75 gallon. 20 ounces might last 2 weeks if you are lucky.

As far as cost, its about the same around here, 25 cents an ounce at the paintball store. $18.00 for 5 lbs at Airgas but to far away and closed on weekends.

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
Do it yourself cheap Co2 system:
Prices are approx with shipping:

Draught Technologies Regulator - 48.00
Brass 1/4x1/8 adapter, hose barb - 10.00
The 1/4" to 1/8" as well as the hose barb can both be bought at your local hardware store for less than 3 USD total.

Fabco NV55 Needlevalve - 28.00
Bubble Counter - 10.00
Brass check valves x 2 - 28.00
These must be gold plated brass check valves! Mine don't cost $14 a piece! :icon_eek:

5 lb CO2 Cylinder - 60.00
Co2 fill (5 lbs) - 17.00
$77 for a 5 lb tank is a bit on the expensive side. It may be cheaper if you get it locally.

Drop Checker - 25.00
You can get cheap glass ones off eBay for much less than this. Alternatively, you can DIY one yourself for less than $1.50.

Optional:
Clippard Solenoid - 48.00
There are much cheaper options than the Clippard. However, if you want to go with the Clippard, there are often times a warehouse/supplier that can get the Clippard parts for a cheaper price (i.e. no need to pay for shipping).

My setup was as follows (all prices USD, additional shipping/shipping included prices are indicated).

Victor Dual Stage HPT272-350B: $85 with shipping included
Swagelok B-SS2A: $38 with shipping included
Parker solenoid: $18 with shipping included
CO2 tank (10 lbs, filled, bought locally): $80
Various adapters (1/4" to 1/8", hose barbs, etc., bought locally): $3
JBJ Brass Bubble Counter: $16 with shipping included

Total: $240.

Do note, however, that this was built with much higher quality parts than normal (i.e. Victor regulator, Swagelok metering valve, 10 lb CO2 tank instead of 5, etc).

In short, if you want a system with a single stage regulator, etc, it is still very possible to get it for a low price.

what about the paintball tanks. are they alright to use?. i,ll be setting up my 1st 75/ wco2. i plan a timer rather than a controller
Using a timer instead of a controller is fine. I would not recommend a paintball tank, as others have already mentioned. It would not last very long at all on a 75g tank.

+1. A 10 lb or a 20 lb tank would be even better! Refill costs are generally about the same.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I think for someone just getting started that kit as it is might be fine for a while. I know that might mean upgrading in the near future but it at least allows someone to get into CO2 at an affordable price without all the hassles of trying to bring one together from multiple sources.
I know I wouldn't have been able to make much sense of all this had I not already had some hands on with CO2 in the SW hobby.

SteveU

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.