The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts talking about a tank with too much light and not enough CO2, I wonder what the theory's are as to why this would contribute to accelerated algae growth? I have my own thoughts, but I would love someone to explain more to clarify or point me to a resource for this info.

·
Registered
987 Posts
At a certain point your plants will need c02 to grow with the amount of light you are giving them. If they have powerful lighting and no co2 their growth will be stunted. That doesn't mean they don't grow but just means that they have reach their light threshold and now need c02 and fertilizers to grow as quickly as they could with that amount of light.

Algae doesn't need much carbon dioxide so you will have given the advantage for the algae to utilized the nutrients and light over your plants.

There is an equilibrium between light-nutrients-carbon dioxide in your tank. If you have high light then you will have to raise the other two proportionately or befriend algae. :redface:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.