The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Am New to the aquascaping world. I have a 16 gallon (60L) tank with a 2kg CO2 system. I started 4 days ago with les then 1 bubble per second but my Co2 drop checker stayed for 2 days blue, so raised the co2 to 1 bubble per second and stil it stayed blue but a little lighter then earlier.

Yesterday morning I raised the co2 even more to 100 bubbles per minute. And it's still on the blue side.

Then I read on the forums that some here have a larger aquarium and their co2 is running at 40 bubbles per minute so I really don't get it.

My co2 starts at 12pm (12h) and go's off at 7pm (19h). The light goes on 2pm (14h) and goes off at 8pm (20h)

So I really don't know how much more co2 I need to put in extra because I think 100 bubbles per minute is already a lot. Has someone advice for me?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Don't use BPM to gauge CO2.

Take a sample glass of water from the tank about 2-3 hours after the CO2 comes on (fully gassed water) and measure the pH. Then, let it sit out, 2-3 days, to fully de-gas (overnight if an aerator is used). Once degassed, measure the sample water pH. The pH should be higher than the initial pH reading. In order to achieve what is considered to be an optimal level of 30ppm CO2, the pH in the fully gassed tank should be, at least, one full point lower than the pH reading of the fully de-gassed sample water. Raise the CO2 until the tank pH is one-point lower than the degassed sample, but slowly to allow your fish to adapt (may take a week or more). Note: it is important that the KH reading for both sample points be the same, which should be the case if the directions are followed.

Once you have the pH dialed-in correctly, your drop checker should show the green color, but remember that drop checkers reflect the CO2 readings of 2-3 hours ago.

I would also consider starting your CO2 as soon as ambient light enters the tank. That is when photosynthesis will begin.

Reactions: evil8 and bigtrout

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't use BPM to gauge CO2.

Take a sample glass of water from the tank about 2-3 hours after the CO2 comes on (fully gassed water) and measure the pH. Then, let it sit out, 2-3 days, to fully de-gas (overnight if an aerator is used). Once degassed, measure the sample water pH. The pH should be higher than the initial pH reading. In order to achieve what is considered to be an optimal level of 30ppm CO2, the pH in the fully gassed tank should be, at least, one full point lower than the pH reading of the fully de-gassed sample water. Raise the CO2 until the tank pH is one-point lower than the degassed sample, but slowly to allow your fish to adapt (may take a week or more). Note: it is important that the KH reading for both sample points be the same, which should be the case if the directions are followed.

Once you have the pH dialed-in correctly, your drop checker should show the green color, but remember that drop checkers reflect the CO2 readings of 2-3 hours ago.

I would also consider starting your CO2 as soon as ambient light enters the tank. That is when photosynthesis will begin.
Thank you for you advice! I will test this when I get home. It's a little bit complicated but I will try :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts