The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Love Otos.
Once you get over the hurdle of them dying soon after the box stores purchase.
These are some of my fat happy oto school about 1/3 of them.
Sorry the cellphone cam doesn't do so well at multi focal points.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: CowBoYReX

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I love my oto I just wish I could see them more often. I have the back of my tank planted pretty heavily and thats where they stay. Even when I put repashys out for them I still never see them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just an eBay special from China think an 60mm size feeding dish.
Keeps the guppies and ghost shrimp from ripping the food to bits and sending it everywhere.
Less waste and nasty buildup.
Actually am liking it so much think I'll get a few more for my other tanks.
Its a new addition was just testing it out for sinking food.
Think the oto population has decided it is a lounge.
Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: CowBoYReX

·
Registered
209 Posts
I love my oto I just wish I could see them more often. I have the back of my tank planted pretty heavily and thats where they stay. Even when I put repashys out for them I still never see them.

Yea man same here. They used to be so active and roam the tank until I added 12 tetras and now all they do is hide in the back and come out only to eat then go back hiding.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Algae wafer works but my oto go nuts over zucchini. I will boil the 1/4 inch slice of zucchini for 3 mins or until it sinks to the bottom and rinse with cold water to cool it down before dropping it into the tank. 12 hours later the zucchini disappear. I have 6 oto and 50 shrimps they all love it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Algae wafer works but my oto go nuts over zucchini. I will boil the 1/4 inch slice of zucchini for 3 mins or until it sinks to the bottom and rinse with cold water to cool it down before dropping it into the tank. 12 hours later the zucchini disappear. I have 6 oto and 50 shrimps they all love it.
I have about 14. Mine live on present sources of nutrition in tank supplemented by algae wafers.
I also swap the occasional rocks and decorations from my other 55s in for them to clean.
I have heard of the zucchini will have to try it some time.
Plecos in other tanks would probably like that as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had ottos in my 55 for around 5 years now. Like the OP said it took a while to get them established. After they did they have thrived. My tank has amazon swords, grasses, and a tiger lotus and the ottos love scanning all those leaves. They add lots of joy to the tank. They have actually been breeding and my tank has become a little eco system for them. I haven't added any new ottos in 5 years. I only feed my tank flakes and they survive on the algae flakes and algae from the tank.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
What do you guys feed them besides algae? Wafers do well? I picked up 4 this weekend after not being able to keep them with my angles previously
Mine eat flake and I give them zucchini, cucumber, and repashys super green. I dont know how much of any of it the eat as I seldom see them since I added espeis to the mix.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seeing otos with big fat tummies makes me happy!

Mine go nuts for boiled zucchini but they don't seem to care for cucumber. They also really like lima beans. I've heard that you shouldn't feed soy to fish, so no edamame. Mine rejected boiled broccoli stems and carrots as well.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.