The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having 2 problems with my new tank/sump.

Return is loud, sounds like someone running water in the house tube goes into filter sock and it in the sump about 5 inches. Anyway to make it sounds like it not a water fall?

Second problem with return pump, it loud, I think it vibrates, I put suction cups on the bottom of it, and also this tub type mat I would thought maybe the loud sounds go away, still no luck. The pump is a Eheim 1260.

For the pump being loud my options, buy another pump? Any thoughts as to why I would buy? Or get rid of the sump all together and just setup a canister, I would have to move all my equimpent to tank, plus the wasted money on the sump. Plus it would be a waste of space because cannot remove overflow box.

Any advise?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you extend the piping so that the water enters the sump underwater? That would cut down on a lot of noise. Also I don't have experience with Eheim pumps, but I personally use mag drives and love them, they are pretty much indestructible, and pretty quiet.

I could extend it, as the filter sock reaches the bottom of the sump. I will have to pickup a longer pipe in the morning. How far should I bring it down? Almost to the bottom?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you extend the piping so that the water enters the sump underwater? That would cut down on a lot of noise. Also I don't have experience with Eheim pumps, but I personally use mag drives and love them, they are pretty much indestructible, and pretty quiet.

If I were to switch to the mag drive, what do you suggest? I was thinking the MD12, my tank is 90 G

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's no way I would replace an Eheim pump with a Mag drive. Try to identify what the sound is exactly. If you have the return for the pump hard piped it would help to use a short piece of flexible tubing to reduce vibrations.

The best way I have found to reduce the overflow noise is the Herbie method. There are several similar ideas but the has worked for me. You can google it but basically you are forcing a siphon on 1 drain and use the second bulkhead as a backup. Then plumb the return over the back of the tank. When you eliminate the air that is going down the drain you reduce the noise dramatically. A bonus side effect is a reduction in CO2 loss if you are running CO2.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I really want to try a Herbie on my tank sometime.

At the moment I have no water noise, just the noisy pump.

#1 Try sliding an airline tube down the overflow to get the sweet spot where the vortex is forming, that might help reduce the noise.
#2 Sometimes if I compress the prefilter sponge until no water is going down the pipe then slowly release it the vortex reforms quietly. Just covering the down pipe with a prefilter sponge will make it quieter.
#3 Choke the pump's outflow back a little until the sump is quiet. I did that and opened it all the way up and it stayed quiet, don't know why.

However, watch it. If you are reducing the efficiency of the overflow the pump may be pumping more water in than the overflow is carrying and the tank can overflow. I would try choking back the pump first, tank won't overflow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts