The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have an external inline DIY CO2 reactor that seems to be a little bit on the noisy side. It pretty much sounds like water falling all the time.

I'm running about 2-3 bps into 1.5" pipe. It's hooked up to the output of my 2026 cannister filter.

Anyone have any ideas of what I might do to try and quiet this thing??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I burped out all the air so that it was quiet and in minutes it was back making the noise. It seems like I'm not able to disolve the CO2 fast enough.

I don't know what I could do help that.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
How long is your reactor, and how long does the airline go down into your reactor?

If you can lengthen the airline in the reactor to let the bubble travel further, it should help.
Or get another piece of 1.5" PVC, and 2 couplers, and lengthen the reactor, and make the bubble travel farther.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
How much air head do you have in your yeast solution bottle?

If there is a substantial air-head in the yeast bottle, air will be mixed with your CO2 and as it does not dissolve easily you will have recurring air bubble in your reactor and the splashing sound.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've burped it a couple of times now and the noise comes right back in a couple of minutes.

I would think that if there wasn't enough flow to disolve the CO2 that eventually I'd have an entire reactor full of it, but there seems to be a point where it reaches equilibrium.

I don't have bioballs in there.

I just don't understand what would have changed to make it noisy. I had this setup before I moved and it was completely quiet. It's in the exact same position as before but after the move it's very noisy.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I remember back a while that I did a big cleaning and even removed hoses etc. When I put it all back together, I reversed some of the hoses and started getting air bubbles coming from my water return to the tank. I looked and relooked to try and figure out what was happened. I thought I had an air leak that was being sucked in. Well I finally figured out that my flow was backwards through my reactor.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't hear mine at all unless I put my ear to it. I am running to many BPS to count. My reactor is 2 inches in diameter and 24 inches high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.