The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29g with several different kinds of plants. I have primrose, amazon sword, java fern, and different types of
aponogeton. should i get more? Or should I get rid of some?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Depends on how big they are. Planted tanks are fun, but you need to regulate biofilm and algae, so having more than about 7 large plants might be bad for your tank.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That's entirely up to you. I have close to 30 different plants in a 20L, as long as you have space and meet the requirements of every species, you can keep what you like.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes,you exceeded the limit..remove 1 and a half plants. Kidding!
I think what you might like is trying plants that grow at different levels...groundcover,moss on wood,Crypts below the big plants. Allows more fun of water gardening.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If this is a low tech tank then probably not. Also you are vague in your description (not to mention a picture is worth a pound of words). I would be most concern about the type of aponogeton and type of sword as both can offer small plants (smaller than 3 inches) and large plants (more than 30 inch tall and 12 inches wide). In a low tech tank even larger plants will likely stall small for years but... Last but least if these are newly planted you might want to wait a month or two and see what grows and what sort of well doesn't grow ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planing on getting fish in about a month ill see what grows. I also have a bubbler, does that effect my plants?

And here is a picture of what i have:

Reactions: FishGod21

·
Registered
793 Posts
The plants will probably grow better once you get a few fishes. Until then macro nutrient fertlizers are critical... I personally use nilcog thrive-C (complete) but sachem fertlizers are popular as well as aquarium-coop easy grow.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You can also toss in fish food to add in nutrients.

Your tank is very leafy. I think you could benefit from hornwort or cabomba, or even a stand of dense stem plants like Bacopa. What's the aesthetic that you're aiming for?

The bubbler won't overly negatively or positively affect your plants. It facilitates gas exchange which is good for fish, and eh for plants. Most people don't want bubblers in their high tech planted tanks because it removes the CO2 that they're adding in. But if you're not dosing CO2 it's not really going to matter too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.