The Planted Tank Forum banner
281 - 300 of 399 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Yup! Flu is about a third of it. Its all in my quarantine thread.
As long TPT is here I won't lose it all again with a computer crash LOL

The plant is Didiplis diandra. Fragile yet tough little plant, I was down to only 4 stems due to neglecting it and now I have about a cubic foot of it again LOL
I didn't even recognize it. Mine looked pitiful for so long, I couldn't even remember how nice didiplis looks healthy. LOL.

Okay, I am changing my mind. I am liking the koi more than the black angels now. :biggrin: Great pictures!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Okay, I am changing my mind. I am liking the koi more than the black angels now. :biggrin: Great pictures!
Oh my! so you're trading your fish for new ones:confused1:? I see,
well they were evicted so you have to go find them again.

Although the new tenants are Koi too they are just from a different breeder and the fins aren't as nice. I acquired seven and culled five :angryfire. These two I kept to see what we see and maybe improve the fins with out crossing.
They are Platinum Blue X Red Koi.
Knowing for sure I have a pair here.

The tank saw a good scrubbing and plant slashing.

Pictures are about the worst I've posted, I want another camera!

:fish:

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
you change your mind more than i change my panties, errr i mean underwear.
Thanks for that visual. :icon_wink

Oh my! so you're trading your fish for new ones:confused1:? I see,
well they were evicted so you have to go find them again.

Although the new tenants are Koi too they are just from a different breeder and the fins aren't as nice. I acquired seven and culled five :angryfire. These two I kept to see what we see and maybe improve the fins with out crossing.
They are Platinum Blue X Red Koi.
Knowing for sure I have a pair here.

The tank saw a good scrubbing and plant slashing.
The tanks are looking good even with the trim from the weed whacker. I like the one on the right the best.

Speaking of changing my mind, my favorite are the old fashioned kind that are kind of dull colors with black stripes. What are they called? I think I'd have a really hard time passing up a pair if I saw them in real life.

When you say cull.....do you mean cull or cull? LOL

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Speaking of changing my mind, my favorite are the old fashioned kind that are kind of dull colors with black stripes. What are they called? I think I'd have a really hard time passing up a pair if I saw them in real life.

When you say cull.....do you mean cull or cull? LOL
When I say cull I mean kicked OVER the curb!

Stripes are in the 75R. Since they are the flavor of the minute I guess I should post they spawned today :icon_roll pics in the thread.

D's fish are due to do the deed any hour now too. Meanwhile,,,
practice practice practice I think these fish are school teachers :tongue: after all they stay in schools :help: corny, cheezy, sleezy, grumpy and sneaky
opps thats me.

:fish:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
What do you feed the young fry after they have used up their yolk sac and are free swimmers?
best results feeding live foods, baby brine shrimp starting out is best in my experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have only used crushed flakes and that isn't working anymore, haven't had a good spawn in a couple months.

How many hatcherys should I have going if I wanted to try BBS to feed one pairs offspring?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Starting one the day free swimming starts is a good plan as I start feeding the following day. Temperature plays a role on how many day after the eggs are laid before free swimming starts and most times not all release at once and they do have a tiny bit of egg sack left at that point. Two hatching bottles with one reloaded everyday is how I do it.
The amount of BBS eggs added each time is based on how large the hatch is. A hatch bottle should provide three feedings a day.

HTH

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
with 1 liter of tank water in the bottle we add a heaping TBS of aquarium or rock salt.
this works for us.

Tons of debate on using only 'clean' water, how often to reset etc. and what we do works so after reading it all I reuse / reload several time and when it starts to smell I change it out. Even Walstad has a post on sustained BBS hatcheries including growing unused BBS large enough to feed adults (but I've never done it).
Using the same shrimp net we harvest with for feeding I remove the empty egg shells and reload over and over. 3-4 days on average.

EDIT!: page 10 posts 144, 145 has pics and details of the hatchery I'm still using.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
holding it all up

Receiving a PM last night that could have been triggered by this or another thread I realized the supporting structure for the chain of tanks never made the thread with the focus (mine) being on the fish mainly. LOL

I mostly forget about the how I do stuff right after I finish a project because for me things like this are easy to figure out. Others well, maybe not so much. We're all different (thank God) or the world would be a boring place and all conversations would be really short.

When I purchased this house I remodeled it some before moving in and built a home office room to help support my construction business. I needed printer / computer space etc. and a large area to layout blueprints when doing estimate take offs for the bidding process. That's how my 'tank room' was born. 35 1/2" finished counter height made standard kitchen cabinet bases perfect for the purpose saving me lots of construction time. Tall enough to stand and look at things without bending too far over and short enough for office work station chairs (some) to be tall enough for the desk end of things. That's what I thought up so that's what I built.

Searched for pictures from that time today with little success.
Excuse the mess plz LOL

6x6 hardwood floor tile, oak plywood paneled the office and built all the cabinet fillers along with modifying the cabinet to include a file section too. Later when I decided to stack aquariums all over it I had to figure out how to support all that weight. Built for print work no structure was there for all the weight the tanks would add. Took me awhile to figure this out :icon_neut

This is the day after adding the supports and moving the first tanks in. Three backup hard drives and I can find next to nothing in the way of pictures on the steelwork. This was done 5/4/2008 but hey that's no excuse the IRS would except. (just shoddy record keeping LOL)
Through the open cabinet doors you can see the GFI outlet in the back left corner and another was added flush mount on the desktop also.

I used 3/4" schedule 40 steel pipe (1" OD), threaded pipe unions, 3/16 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" steel angle for the top support plate and long 3/4" steel bolts for the adjustable lower leg sections.

This is the first cabinet off the wall at the left end.
This is where power, 3 phone lines and 3 Cat5 cables were routed into the desk.

This second picture shows the angle support plate and 2x4 used to spread the load point.

GFI outlets were installed for safety both inside the cabinet and flush mounted on top for access to power without running a bunch of power cords.
The two piece pipe leg and union were required so the assembly was small enough to fit through the existing cabinet opening and be assembled inside. The lower section of pipe has a 3/4" nut welded to the end of the pipe. This allowed the long bolts to be adjusted down against the concrete slab. While I built the desk level and plumb the original concrete slab was well,, is what it is and allowing for adjustment is the only way this worked.

Outlet ports at the back of the cabinet allow hoses, etc to be routed behind the tanks.

Configured the supports to allow 6' 6" x 24" of area for a tank base so should a 125g or more ever be wanted,,, well it can be landed right here.:rolleyes:

so,,, that's the office tank stand/desk

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
tanks and fish are looking good! look at those little guys practicing, good for them! :hihi:

NICE DIY on the tank support under / inside all the cabinets. Looks good! :)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
another one of those 'making this work' kinda things.
Gotta PM from a member doing a remodel who wanted to know what I did to support the tanks so here it is, in the middle instead of the beginning LOL.

Changing a fish fighting/breeding post into a tank journal I've got to do this in the 75g tank thread too.

haha my threads are all a mess. :redface:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
On the dark side

The blacks are trying again and the count is 2/0 if this one fails.
I'm not giving them 3 strikes and will be setting up a breeding jar and pulling the slate next time.
The girl is still showing fin damage from the fighting in the 110g.
Thought being moved to the honeymoon tank they would get right to it. Wiggler day all the eggs disappeared overnight.

On a darker note hehehe

The browns from LFABN parents are getting to the 2" mark and some larger.
I held 14 back when selling the last time and I'm growing these out.

My fish room also grew another dirt tank tonight :icon_roll
Setting up the 40g on the right side of the desk.
The Office now has 7 water boxes :hihi:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Hahahaha ANOTHER TANK in the "office"? To house the ever growing collection of angels I assume?

Good luck with the Angel spawn, but it sounds like you're set up to raise round 3 yourself if this round fails. :proud:

those LFBABNs are looking good, and they're certainly growing very well :biggrin:

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Mike, pretty much you are going to be moved out of your office. :hihi: I think I like the brown bristlenoses better than the albinos.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Geez! you hurted my fishs feelings!
haha you like me today and on the curb tomorrow.

But since you like the browns now

281 - 300 of 399 Posts