The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am absolutely panicking!

We have had a 180 gallon well planted river bottom tank for two years. In this tank we have two plecos, a pictus cat, 6 mystery snails, around 20 shrimp, 4 dwarf frogs, 2 gouramis and 2 white skirt tetra. Everything in the tank is at least over a year old. We keep the tank at 78 degrees, and have a light on for 12 hours a day. Once a week I do a 25% water change, and I always test our water to end up with 0 nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. I dose with prime water conditioner when I do changes, and seachem flourish and C02 twice a week.

Cue the screw up. We decided it was time to add some new fish on Sunday. We went out and got 6 congo tetras, and 3 yo yo loaches because of a bladder snail problem.

The loaches are great, besides one liking to rapidly swim in circles all day. Yet as of this morning, all the congo tetras developed ich. 3 had died halfway through the day with holes in their undersides, and I am now left with one and no clue where the other two have gone. I called the fish place, and he told me it was because they keep their congo tank at 85 and 78 wouldn't cut it. I was very careful and took time allowing them to get used to the water.

But the worst situation is that one of the white skirt tetra lost his entire set of lower fins, and one of the gourami has six bloody deep patches on each side of his body. We do not have a hospital tank and have never needed one. I am absolutely panicking for our poor fish and have no clue what to do. I did dose the tank with API stress coat just now in hopes we won't lose our 1 year old white skirt and two year old gourami.

Advice would be much appreciated!

· Premium Member
So many tanks...
699 Posts
I don't use medication for ich and more often than not the fish survives. If there are more than one fish with ich I increase to 80 or 82 degrees (depends on the tank), with yours at 78 already I would do 82. if you have gravel, do some gravel vacs, this is where the ich will stay for the most part. Try to do it in stages, I shoot for 2 degrees a day in both increase and then reduction when it's time to take it back down. Usually don't keep it at 82 for longer than a week.

pretty sure 78 would be fine for the Congos.

A lot of people believe that ich is just present in any tank that has had it at all and it will be forever moving forward, but doesn't make it self known until a fish becomes week enough to not fight it off. I have added smaller fish to tanks with larger fish and I think this alone can cause enough stress for the small fish that they contract or develop ich.

These are more or less personal experiences and thoughts. some I know are shared with others in the community.

· Registered
504 Posts
I’d dose with Ich meds immediately and do exactly as specified on the bottle. It also sounds like you have fin rot on the white skirt, so Erythromycin will help with that.

Some of your fish, like the yoyos, will NOT like 85 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.