The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I had 5 Red Irian Rainbowfish, newly added 2 weeks ago. 1 completely disappeared, no body. This morning I found another one passed away in tank and removed it immediately. Nothing looked off on it. According to my research my parameters are fine for this type of fish, I thought they are easy to care for and as soon as I brought them home their color brightened significantly, which I took as them being healthy. I was planning to increase the shoal to 6 or 7 as I find more in pet stores but now I am not so sure as they cost me $20 each. Is there anything I am doing wrong? All other fish are fine.
Plant Purple Lighting Pet supply Rectangle

My tank:
50g planted, no CO2, covered
Eco complete substrate
20-30% water changes weekly
Eheim cannister filter
Ammonia/nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10-20
Phosphate = 1
PH = 7.4 with zero fluctuations
Temp = 77⁰ F
Diet = flake food & frozen brine shrimp
Tank mates = dalmation mollies, mystery snails, peacock gudgeon, ember tetras, 1 clown loach I am borrowing to eat pest snails for a bit

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unfortunately, I will be no help here as I am having similar problems with my Blythe River Rainbows. I started with a school of 6 that colored up nicely to start, you can see one in my avatar. Then I had 1 disappear suddenly. A couple days later I found another dead, and the next day a 3rd. The 3 remaining don't have any red coloring like they should, but they are eating and acting normal otherwise. I hope someone chimes in with thoughts as to the cause. I love rainbowfish, but don't want to get more if they are just going to die like these have been.

·
Registered
269 Posts
After 30 years of keeping fish sometimes fish just die or disappear. Could have been the food. Clogged intestine from the brine shrimp or just genetically weak from being aquarium bred. I bought a large school of praecox rainbowfish and lost them 1 by 1 until they were all gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts