The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a bit of a concern with my rummy tetras. I have noticed some rummy tetras have lost appetite in eating my New Life Spectrum small pellets (not overdue). Some are still eating while a couple have stopped a bit. I will see the ones that lost appetite eat one or two pellets... even when I mash it up to smaller bits... but after that they will just eat and spit it out.
There colors are normal... no fading. I tried some dried bloodworms, omega one flakes, algae wafers.. and same response... while others ate it.

Water parameters have been steady for the past 3 years:
Temperature: 26.1 C
Ph: 5.7 - 6.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 - 10 ppm
Dense vegetation of Crypt wendtii.

Literally a week ago those who lost appetite were devouring every bit of food I placed in the tank... its just weird... now they are a bit skinny...
IDK, but maybe its just those rummy tetras who act like that from time to time.

Any one else run across this issue with rummy tetras or other fishes?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have old ember tetras that are picky. After awhile they stopped taking flakes from the surface and rejected most different kinds of flakes period until I watched a video on u-tube of a guy adding the flakes into a glass of water first then he fed them the mix directly into the tank. Now my fish would still not eat that way unless i ground the flakes first then fed the water feed mix together.
Since then I quickly took it one step further. I run the flakes of choice over a fine screen then add to my water glass and mix. Then I use an ( eye dropper) being careful not to have to much feed concentration in the eyedropper so not to create extra waste in the tank from uneaten food.( I only have 3 out of 5 left after 5 years). I also drop the food only one drop at a time from at least 5-8 inches so the food ends up clumping slightly and that causes it to disperse and open up a little almost mimicking a tiny school of micro bait fish! It seems to get them going, but this plan will only work if you have found a bran that they like!
I have never liked micro pellets and found most of my fish would go off them after awhile if not like them at all. I have been using Tetra Color flakes that as stated I grind them up over a fine screen to make almost dust! But the food will expand a little when it gets wet.
Putting my feed method a side WHICH I highly recommend, Your water quality may be playing a big part even though you think its good. If your filters need cleaning sometimes that combined with at least a 50% water change sometimes is all thats need if not done together and you do not set the filter back in the processes because that would mean bigger problems if you killed to much filter bacteria !
I would try the new feed idea right away but only after a water change. Then if things do not improve right away I would clean the filter and try and feed right after that. Make sure to clean the substrate gently so not to cause a mini spike which usually will not show on any test kit but the fish may know!
*Also, I never go by the expiration date on feed. After opening I have read that even after 8-10 weeks the food begins to oxidize and spoil, causing vitamin loss and rancid food. 8-10 weeks may be extreme but it is safer to replace sooner than later I usually replace feed containers every 3 or 4 months. Hope this may help.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I forgot to mention that turning the filter off while using the eyedropper method seems to work the best, and in my case I feed with lights out but there is some low level ambient light on in the room so the fish have a little light but no direct aquarium light on. My fish prefer to feed late at night over day time. Something else to consider. But careful observations will be needed to tell for sure if they are eating the food for sure. , usually looking down over them you can tell if they are spitting the food out if the lights are off in the tank.
Your fish will tell you when they have had enough. Mine usually drop down lower from the surface and show more interest in playing with each other. Sometimes they will come back towards the surface together after 5 or ten minutes and that is a sign they want more.
The old rule of feeding only what your fish can consume in 60 seconds rule is old and outdated. There are many factors. I sometimes only spend 2 or 3 minutes feeding , other times over the course of 10-15 minutes depending on how they act and I feel. But I know when to stop. When they show signs of not being interested I stop right away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.