The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new tank which is recently fully cycled (fish-less), since then I have stocked my tank with some neon tetras, galaxy rasboras and some guppies. Last night one of the guppies was swimming at the surface which to me arose a red flag indicating high nitrites. I did water testing and my ammonia was 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 5ppm (all done with API freshwater master test. Only thing I noticed that is different is a sudden (as of 3 days ago) milky cloudiness to the water. What could of kiled my fish? BTW, I had crystal clear water, added new driftwood (boiled to remove tanins for several hours) it tinted the water a light amber. Everything was fine, fish liked it. I did a 30% water change at the end of the week and the cloudiness developed overnight.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sonnds like a bacteria bloom. They were probably deprived of oxygen. Get some surface agitation/air stone going the cloudiness will go away on its own. I'd say slow down feeding too so they have nothing to feed on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You may be over analyzing this. Being a new fish it may have just been stressed. A single loss in a new tank seems pretty common to me. Keep an eye on your current fish before you start making changes to the tank.

The new fish created a bio load in your new tank giving you some cloudiness. It will soon pass.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A small update, all fish seem healthy. Cloudiness is still there =\, I woke up this morning to one of my galaxy rasboras wedged between the filter and the aquarium glass. I thought it was dead but to my surprise saw him attempting to breathe even though it was upside down. I moved the filter to allow him to escape and like magic he was surprisingly as good as new =)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The cloudyness often happens with a new tank, it has happened to me on ALL of my tanks, it goes away after a few days

1 - 6 of 6 Posts