The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A warning to all, do not overfeed algae wafers !!!

Last night I broke an algae wafer (Hikari brand) into a few pieces and dropped it into my 40b.

It is well stocked, 2 bn plecos, 7 dwarf cories, 2 adult SAE, 10 neons, 10 guppies, 3 adult platys and about 10 small ones. countless snails and shrimp, including 3 jumbo sized amanos.

I usually give them just 1/2 an algae wafer, but due to the the recent increase in small guppies and platies I figured a hole one will be OK.

It was too much.

A feeding frenzy ensued, as usual, the female platies ate a lot (they do that) later that night they all looked fat and happy, right before i went to bed they looked really bloated, i guess the food expanded in their bellies, i was a little worried.

this morning one of the female platies was dead, another one is not feeling well, still very bloated, I hope she makes it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1 gallon of tank (or aged) water, make a jug so you can do daily baths if needed.
Pour some in a glass jam pot, and let it float in your tank till the temperatures are close. Insert fish for about 10 minutes.
This will get the digestive system going.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'd just add the epsom salt to the aquarium itself. I've about given up trying to give my bristle noses wafers in the grow-out tank. Silly juvenile angels can't seem to grasp that it's not for them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wafers are an inferior food delivery. Switch to a small pellet and never worry about it again.
you are right, wafers went into the garbage can.

I have small sinking pellets for the cories, and the plecos will be getting zucchini, cucumber or spinach.

luckily the other female platy survived.

so only one fish lost, lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
All my fish like Tetra Prima granules, it is slightly more expensive than tetramin. It is intended for discus and other mid and bottom feeders.
It is hard when dry, yet easy enough to crumble between your fingers to even feed fry. it also takes very long to go bad inside the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts