Light: 8AM - 9AM - 1 nos. 36 watts T8 light
1 PM to 10 PM - 7 nos. 36 watts T8 light
Filter - Eheim canister filter
CO2- Pressurised @ 2 BPS dissolved through a reactor
CO2 level - abt 33 PPM
KH-7
NO3-25 PPM
pH - 6.8

Fert: On the day of w/c - 20 mls of KNO3 (stock sol. of 8 tb spoons in 400 mls of Distillld water), 5 mls of KH2PO4 (stock sol. of 2 tb spoons in 400 mls of distilled water, 7 mls of Seachem Iron & 20 mls of Seachem Flourish Traces. On the 4th day 15 mls of KNO3, 5 mls of KH2PO4 & the same sosage of traces & Iron

Plant Growth: Plant growth is quite good and I need to trim quite regularly.

Problem: (1) Facing GDA problem for quite some time. Presently trying to get rid of them by allowing them to complete their life cycle. I have also reduced the photoperiod from 12hrs to 8 hrs.
(2) Another problem is that all broad leaved plants are slowly geting smothered by the GDA. I planted some new stem plants but they are also getting covered by this algae
(3) Although I am dosing KH2PO4, I can still see some amount of green spot alage on the front glass near the substrate

However, plants like N. Japonica, Red & Green Cabomba are unaffetced.

What should I so tackle these problems? Where am I going wrong?

I am really at my wits end and would highly appreciate your help.Please do help me.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
You seem to have a good handle on things, can't find anything fundamentally wrong with your setup and procedures. Sometimes it takes a while for a tank to reach stability, I am not sure for how long you have been doing a strict dosing regime, if you started a few weeks ago give it some time.

One thing you could try is to reduce your Nitrate dosing a little bit, might help with the GDA.

Do you have a good "algae crew"? Otocinclus catfish do a great job cleaning plant leaves and glass...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnaks for the feedback. Well, now I have reduced (i.e., from today) Nitrate dosing to 15mls of my stock soln @ 2x a week & have also increased the Posphate dosing. Now I guess I will have to wait for a couple of weeks and see how things shape up.

The strict dosing schedule I have been following for the past 3 months or so.

Regarding Alage crew, I do have a few SAEs but they are unable to do much. The one that you have suggested is difficult to find here.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
Another thing to ponder, while not very popular... With an increased bioload you get a higher amount of organic pollutants, which in my experience often leads to increased algae growth.

Sometimes ppl buy a bunch of little fishies for their big tank, without realizing that some of them grow to several inches over the next couple of months. Bigger fish = heavier feeding and pooping = accumulation of organic pollutants.

I am not saying your tank is overstocked, or that in each case a well stocked tank is plagued by algae, but I have seen a relation in some cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts