The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I almost lost all my adults crs shrimp, It all started about two weeks ago.
20g long
Ph 5.8
Kh 1
gH 6
Temperature 74
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrites 0
I have a Purigen reactor.
I have been keeping CRS for the past 2 years with problems and some success.
The tank is 5 months old and everything was perfect at one time I had 16 berried females and still have some babies.
I was able to find brand new unopened unused Akadama Double Red substrate. So I bought two bags small and medium , used about 1.5 gallon of akadama in a bucket with distilled water let it sit for two weeks the water was at about 5 pH so I took ½ gallon and mixed it with 1.5 gallon of distilled water demineralized it and did a water change I heard other breeders doing this to prolong the life of the substrate in the tank. That same week I got 6 Ramshorn snails from a reportable member of TPT.
Since that weekend I have been finding each day 2-3 deadSS-SSS adult shrimp. I went back to my old ways ,did some small water changes 1g every other day but still losing shrimp. I still have some berried shrimp and my TB BBK are looking ok not moving to much but not dying. I don’t think it is any type of bacteria, more stress but I am lost and find what is wrong and how to fix it.
I need help save what is left.

If I lose all the shrimp I will quite the hubby and sell everything I have for shrimp
I am so mad for massing with what worked for me!!!
Please HELP

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I hear you on the messing with stuff when it worked. I had a good population of many shrimp going, tried new stuff, now I'm back to half starting over again.

I'm not sure what to recommend though as it seems all the params are correct. Just feel your pain on messing when stuff is working.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Try to increase oxygen in water, it will help some of the shrimp immediately.

I am sad to say though, I have had similar problem with akadama. it was good for several months then all shrimp began to die.

I hope you can solve this problem!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
It can be some poison or chemical too. If the bag have been stored in facility with some fertilizers or poisons chemicals can go thru the Akadama bag. Try with high quality carbon for 3-4 days. I have 2 tanks with Akadama it lost buffering after 6-8 months. Now PH fluctuates very easy: added small bag with peat moss and PH went down from 6.6 to 5.3 for 2h.
In tank with 2 year old Amazonia PH went from 6.6 to 6.3
Maybe you had big PH swing.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
sorry to hear of your dilemma. um, did you leave out a step. you were talking about finding a bag of akadama DL, then talked about soaking the substrate, then moved onto finding them dying since then. Did you do a partial substrate swap in that time or were you describing when the tank was initially setup? 5 months sure is quite lengthy for Akadama to be giving you any sort of problem. were any new plants added, substrate stirred during planting?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys.
Liam: I have I fine air stone with fine bubbles coming out it is on 24/7
Plamski: I think that is what happened when I did the water change with fresh water ,water in the bucket is pH5.4 when I mixed it it was pH 6.00 I feel I had a pH swing but that would be 2 weeks ago.
Would shrimp still continue to die from stress after 2 weeks and why not the BBK or my PRF ?? I am paling on adding carbon in to my canister tonight.
Thank you guys It is nice to see the experts replying to this, I would hate to quit the shrimp hubby I enjoy being on TPT.
Please keep it coming no idea is bad someone here has the answer

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wouldn't use akadama any more. While it seemed great at first, it is a difficult substrate to get right, and it eventually killed all of the shrimp that I kept with it. (I have had great success with Amazonia and Malaya substrates.) The akadama stuff pulls important minerals out of the water, and this seems to be what eventually kills your shrimp. This can be the case even if your TDS or GH readings seem normal.

However, a friend of mine has had success with akadama when re-mineralizing his RO water with SaltyShrimp GH+. If you can find this stuff, you might try gradually switching to using GH+. Another option to try to save your shrimp would be to just buy a bag of ADA Malaya substrate and quickly set up a new tank. Unlike Amazonia, the Malaya substrate will instantly cycle, as long as you add some bacterial supplement (Tetra SafeStart or Nutrafin, etc...).

Good luck!

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
I am with plamski, I had a tank implode just recently lost 500$ + in shrimps. Over the last year with 2 problems in my OEBT tank probably lost close 1K in them. You live learn and hopefully do not repeat the same problems!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I did not change any substrate in the tank. I took a 5g bucket and put 1.5g of Akadama in the bucket with distilled water it sat there for two weeks . I took ½ gallon of water from the bucket and mixed it with 1.5 g of distilled added minerals to it all and did a slow water change. No new plants, did not stir the substrate.
I would love to find ADA Malaya substrate but everywhere I look it is sold out. Where do you guys buy it??

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I bought 3x9L bags of Malaya DEC last year, FEB and APR this year. In 3 attempts in 15gal tanks one with UGF and 2 without substrate start to break down after 3-4 days. I redid them with Africana. Not a problem so far. Malaya and Africana leach the same amount of Ammonia but because PH is very low it isn't harmful for shrimps. I tried with CRS SS+ and TB's
You have to have Seachem Ammonia test kit to check both values NH3 and NH4
With UGF you have to replace substrate every year if you like to keep PH under 6. No more than biweekly WC thought. Other ways you are shortening substrate lifespan.
If you decide to use Africana: do 2x 100% WC in day one.1x100% on day 2 then connect filters and add moss-plants etc. Otherwise you will kill all the bacteria and 90% of the plants. I did it twice without WC and it was disaster.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I am with plamski, I had a tank implode just recently lost 500$ + in shrimps. Over the last year with 2 problems in my OEBT tank probably lost close 1K in them. You live learn and hopefully do not repeat the same problems!
Oh I feel so much better now having only lost about $150 in OEBTs. Misery loves company! I'm with Plamski too. I've lost my share but I want to stick it out, live and learn and prosper. I hope. But some days I get so disheartened with them:icon_cry:

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Usually there is a small problem which doesn't bother shrimp too much, then come something else and they start to die like crazy. We are in checkmate because we can't understand how a little this or that can kill the whole tank. Unfortunately we can't track more than water parameters. We don't know what they need the most and what amount of it. Even in Taiwan and Japan breeders get hit. Otherwise CRS SSS will cost $5 not $150, right?
All the hobbies are time and money hungry. If we can’t support them then better not to start them at all.
After 2 years of problems and sadness I decided to try to be happy with what I learned and with working over tanks, seeing shrimps alive and happy. Not to expect great result and profit.
For profit and less problem shrimps import is the right way.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
What filtration do you have? How your moss is growing-is it yellowish or green? What light and photoperiod?

·
Registered
867 Posts
dont need to despair, once you build the colony everything will be alright, monitor the water more often... wc will affect i notice.. i accidentally spilled the water and disturbed the gravel.. and i saw death

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
235 Posts
You know the average lifespan of a shrimp is approximately 2 years right? So keep in mind if your adults are 1.5 years - 2 years old it makes sense that they are dying and the juvies/shrimplets are completely fine. Especially making them go through the stress of new tank adjustment, it's a lot for a poor old shrimp to handle.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What filtration do you have? How your moss is growing-is it yellowish or green? What light and photoperiod?
Plamski: thank you for all the good info and advice.
Filtration: Eheim 2213 canister UG hooked up to a Purigen reactor, 3 sponge filters.
Moss looks nice and green and growing like crazy.
Lights: LED 10000k on 11hr off 13hr
Plamski: How long did you let the Africana cycle for before adding shrimp.
Zenzu: Most of my shrimp are 6-8 months old, I am losing all ages of shrimp.
I do know that after 1year I can expect the old shrimp to die but I got them from different people on here at different times most of them in the spring of this year
The surprise to me is the berried females and my BBK are still alive not very active, I would think they are more sensitive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts