The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering.:help: I use Swachem Flourish Tabs http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishTabs.html and if I do my biweekly waterchange of 1/4 of my tank (2.5 gallons) will I be losing fertilizer? These tabs are time released and in the substrate but will they provide adequite nutrients to the water column? For plants like the Java Fern. Will I be forced to use a liquid fertalizer? I was confused about how they work, any thoughts:icon_ques

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If your fern looks healthy and grows new leaves regularly they are fine. The tablets dissolve and some of it will get into the water column so yes you are losing a bit of fertilizer changing water but not much as the tablets dissolve slowly. Water plants with it then you aren't wasting any.

You could do some silly calculations on this. Tablets to be replaced monthly? That means 1/30 should be in the water at one time and if you change 1/4 of the water weekly you lose 1/30x1/4 each time. So over a month you might be wasting 4x1/120 or 1/30 of that tablet. ~3%. How much does a tablet cost? $.50? That comes to maybe $.02 you waste if you pour the change water down the drain AND the plants aren't taking up any of the nutrients.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess that was a retorical question on my part. (change water lose fertilizers) lol hahah. Kathyy you're very detailed! My aquariums planted and I'm not sure if the nutrients in the water column are up to par.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts