The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade to a canister filter. I have a 10g tank. Would a sunsun 303 canister be more than enough? Also what else would be another canister filter that I can run other than that where I can buy locally without having to order online? I've seen fluval that's about it.

Edit: also if I add my media into the new canister I wouldn't have to have both filters running correct?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have you seen the flow rate or GPH gallons per hour on those canisters? There are some smaller canisters for nano tanks.
What kind of filter do you have now? What fish do you have, plants?

My 10 gallon has shrimp and plants so the Marineland HOB 100 GPH is more than enough for them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My experience is that aquarium equipment available locally is usually overpriced and the selection is terrible. This may be different for you since you live in a major metropolitan city but perhaps not if all you can find is Fluval. You may have to start calling around to specialty shops if buying locally is your only option. Amazon is the way to go for ordering aquarium supplies quickly, easily, and cheaply unless you're looking for some specialty items. I'm not a fan of the design of the SunSun 603B although the price point is excellent and I'm sure its a nice filter. I personally would go with an Eheim 2211 for that tank but a Fluval 106 would work just as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you seen the flow rate or GPH gallons per hour on those canisters? There are some smaller canisters for nano tanks.
What kind of filter do you have now? What fish do you have, plants?

My 10 gallon has shrimp and plants so the Marineland HOB 100 GPH is more than enough for them.
I haven a marineland 100 for my tank as well. I figured if I have added media in the canister it would reduce the flow more. I did see the 302 & 303. Was leaning more towards the 302. But if that's too much for a 10g I'll probably look at the smaller eheim canisters. Like above mentioned. I do have a moderately planted tank and will be adding more plants. I figured I would need some water movement for some plants for better growth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think most canisters have shut off valves in the lines that you can use to slow the flow down. I know Eheim does. Be prepared for some amazingly clear, sparkly water!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade to a canister filter. I have a 10g tank. Would a sunsun 303 canister be more than enough? Also what else would be another canister filter that I can run other than that where I can buy locally without having to order online? I've seen fluval that's about it.

Edit: also if I add my media into the new canister I wouldn't have to have both filters running correct?
Why not get an aquaclear 30 or 50...they do pretty much the same thing as a canister in the sense of media filling and all that but as in an HOB...honestly i have a penguin 200 and getting an Aquaclear 70...I thought about a canister filter but it's bulky and I don't have the space under my tank for it..and the Aquaclear have great reviews and people love them...if you ever upgrade to a bigger tank then a canister is cool but if not then an Aquaclear will do the same job with great results

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

Why are you looking to upgrade? Is something wrong with your HOB? Is it not doing a good job of filtering your tank?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why are you looking to upgrade? Is something wrong with your HOB? Is it not doing a good job of filtering your tank?
Yeah ever since I bought it its been noisy. No real flow reduction the bio wheel doesn't spin and sometimes doesn't prime when doing 50% water changes. And lately the filter doesn't look like it's filtering the water much. I probably have to clean out the filter once every two weeks. I did add some bio media to reduce the flow a little bit. But the impellar seems to get stuck every so often.

After looking at some reviews and videos, I think I will go with the Fluval 106 Canister. Cheapest I found was $65.99 on Amazon. If anyone knows where I can get it for cheaper, lemme know. Also, will adding the media from my old filter be more than enough when upgrading to a canister correct? I do have some bio max bio rings in the filter as well that can be added to the canister. I'm assuming I would have to rip off the sponge from the filter cartridge and use it in the canister correct? I just want to make sure I have the BB in my filter media and won't start a mini cycle of some sort.

·
Registered
618 Posts
After looking at some reviews and videos, I think I will go with the Fluval 106 Canister. Cheapest I found was $65.99 on Amazon. If anyone knows where I can get it for cheaper, lemme know. Also, will adding the media from my old filter be more than enough when upgrading to a canister correct? I do have some bio max bio rings in the filter as well that can be added to the canister. I'm assuming I would have to rip off the sponge from the filter cartridge and use it in the canister correct? I just want to make sure I have the BB in my filter media and won't start a mini cycle of some sort.

Yes best thing for you to do is rip off the media from the cartridge..rip off the paper from the bio wheel and use those bio rings in the new canister...or just run both filters at the same time for 2 or so weeks...if you can throw more rings in the HOB before your new filter comes so you don't have to use the sponge or the paper wheel..because more then likely your canister won't come with filter media so if your able to get more rings in there to get that bio on them the better..honestly put more rings in your HOB till new canister comes and then switch it to the canister and run both for 2 weeks and then you should be fine

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes best thing for you to do is rip off the media from the cartridge..rip off the paper from the bio wheel and use those bio rings in the new canister...or just run both filters at the same time for 2 or so weeks...if you can throw more rings in the HOB before your new filter comes so you don't have to use the sponge or the paper wheel..because more then likely your canister won't come with filter media so if your able to get more rings in there to get that bio on them the better..honestly put more rings in your HOB till new canister comes and then switch it to the canister and run both for 2 weeks and then you should be fine
It's a marineland 100 HOB filter. I already stuffed it as much as I could with bio rings couple months ago. I'll probably just run them together for a couple weeks to build up the BB.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's a marineland 100 HOB filter. I already stuffed it as much as I could with bio rings couple months ago. I'll probably just run them together for a couple weeks to build up the BB.

Yep it's the best thing you could do when you switch things over to the new filter

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just upgraded from my Aquaclear 50 to a SunSun 603b canister. I can't believe I waited this long to get a canister. It was 25$ shipped from eBay..took 4 days to get here. Its a perfect amount of flow for my 12g long to reach the opposite side (36") but not overpowering. Silent. Fish aren't getting blown all over the place. Highly recommended for the price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 603B is a son of a gun to get going but otherwise I really like it. Ditched my bio wheel for one in a 20 and also using one in a 15 that I just set up. The flow rate is minimal. I'm using both in conjunction with oversized sponge filters hooked up to air pumps. Quite quiet, just want to toss the air pumps out of the window at times.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The more cycled media you can place in the new filter the better. You do not have to tear up the bio wheel- just float it in the tank. Hang onto the old filter, in case you need a back up, or to set up a quarantine tank.

There are some bacteria clinging to the walls of the old filter.
If you want to add some bottled bacteria, that would make up for whatever bacteria you are losing by removing the old filter. Look for Nitrospira species of bacteria, and do not let them sell you something 'just as good'.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 603B is a son of a gun to get going but otherwise I really like it. Ditched my bio wheel for one in a 20 and also using one in a 15 that I just set up. The flow rate is minimal. I'm using both in conjunction with oversized sponge filters hooked up to air pumps. Quite quiet, just want to toss the air pumps out of the window at times.

I'm trying to set this up for a 10g tank. The 15 and 20 is definitely longer, so I would assume the flow would be minimal. I just don't want the flow to be so strong that it stirs up the water and make my tank look like a toilet bowl. Lol. Also have a glass top so I would have it flowing vertically instead of horizontally. My room gets super dusty.

Bump:
The more cycled media you can place in the new filter the better. You do not have to tear up the bio wheel- just float it in the tank. Hang onto the old filter, in case you need a back up, or to set up a quarantine tank.

There are some bacteria clinging to the walls of the old filter.
If you want to add some bottled bacteria, that would make up for whatever bacteria you are losing by removing the old filter. Look for Nitrospira species of bacteria, and do not let them sell you something 'just as good'.
I was thinking of ripping off the filter floss off of the cartridge and add it to my new canister. As well as the bio rings.

So float the bio wheel in the tank while the new canister collects BB? I have no idea where I can get nitrospira locally would probably have to order it online. I do have special blend that I bought which was a damn joke. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't really believe in the magical bottle full of BB.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts