The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I am looking to go from my 4 bulb T5HO Aquaticlife setup to LED of sorts on my standard 75 gal tank.

The Finnex Planted 24/7 looks pretty rad but open to other options.

The reasons I would like to switch are for less power consumption, less bulb changes, and some cool features. Now I could be wrong on the power consumption so please let me know if I am, and features I am not too concerned about, but wouldn't mind them either.

Ideally I would like to have the same amount of light or more than I do now if I can as I do not want to be limited to what plants I can grow. In that case how many units would I need?

Any input would be fantastic.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Go for it! I recently finished switching all my tanks over to LED's. I went with the finnex Ray II's....I set aside ALL other types of lighting

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies :) I am wondering how many units I would need to replace what I currently have and if they are really worth it.
It can be expensive to replace the T5HO blubs every year.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Thanks for the replies :) I am wondering how many units I would need to replace what I currently have and if they are really worth it.
It can be expensive to replace the T5HO blubs every year.
@ 112PAR at 20" for your t5ho you will be hard pressed to economically match that output in LED's..

It would take 2 Ray II's to do it..
2 planted plusses..
2 Fluval 2.0's. (closest to using 2 but a bit "narrow")
Some of this is just "logistics" of narrower
lights over a wider tank..

Probably 3 or 4 of the smaller models..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have three radeon xr15 freshwater and they are insanely bright and customizable. Haven't had any plants under them yet but I can't imagine they aren't up to the task. I'll know by next month and can report back if you haven't made up your mind by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
Prepare to get out the wallet if you want equal power, AND color rendition of the four T5HOs. Not that hard to get one or the other, but getting both is going to cost you.

I'll save the recommendations for somebody else since I have little experience with high end LEDs.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Start w/ this DSunY..
FW-C6-2(item# 331625052442)
$297.49.. Will get you the control and color..
$350 for the wireless version
To get the intensity add 2 more c6 panels in fw config. though that could run you another $200
Option w/ just 2 panels:
Add a 48" RayII or some such light to punch up the noon time..

If you would choose the 4 panel light I'd switch the optics from 120 to at least 90...
Not sure how accurate these readings are but should be fairly close (4 panel light):

Reactions: lnstevens

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have two 48 inch planted plus 24/7 on my 75 gallon and wish I had spent the money on a Dsuny. By the time you buy two planted plus 24/7 fixtures you could almost buy the Dsuny which has more features and better par.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have two 3w beamswork led fixtures on my 75g and the light is incredible. The fish were scared of it when I turned them on for the first time. Color is decent, but reds look slightly washed out, but its just so bright I can understand why. Under $200 for the two fixtures.

EVO 48" 6500K LED Aquarium Light
Fixture Size: 46.50" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 32
4320 Lumens
Super energy efficient 3 watt high output LEDs
32x 6,500K LED
Use 96 watts

There are some negatives about the lights but for what I needed them for? They have been excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.