The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of another regulator, and would like to put something together for no more than $150.00 (possible?)
It would be hooking up to a 20 lb tank on a system that I want to set and forget. I am looking for consistency, which I understand is not for certain when buying a aquatek or a Milwaukee.
I have heard good things about getting a keg reg, and just swapping out the needle valve? I have never done a regulator build or customization before.

Thank you for your time! The sooner I get feedback, the sooner I can spend money!

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Certain to be possible but step one to keep it under $150 is to take time! Time to learn what is value and not. Time to shop for value. And time to screw it together in a way that will give you a good result.
For value, I like this.
Beer reg from a brew place as I like new better than used to assure it works.
Clippard Mouse solenoid from the bay site. I use the 10-32 fittings and put things together with airline tubing.
I like the Fabco NV-55 as a good solid needle valve.
Check valves and the cheap plastic Fluval bubble counter and then feed it into the tank on a DIY Grigg's style reactor tied to my canister filter.

Time now to look over how you and your tank need to change or adapt what other people use to better fit you??

Time? It's the one thing we can't shop and find.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would avoid that if possible. Best to look through some other build threads and try to score a used high quality regulator then just buy a post body kit. Should be pretty easy to do under 150. I got a nice Concoa dual stage in almost new condition for about $60 then pieced the rest together for $60 more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know you wanted under $150, but I really like my GLA GRO. Nice unit. Set and forget. 3 year warranty. I had great costumer service when mine started making a weird noise. They troubleshot over email and finally I had to mail it to them. They had it for a day, fixed the issue and mailed back in 2 days.

But making your own can be cheaper and better, so I totally get going that route.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ya. I would definitely take a look at what they have to offer. They make great diffusers as well. I really liked their inline if you have a canister filter. I recently switched to a cerges reactor and have been fiddling with that for now.

GLA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts