The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I like the XP Series priming system and the single release for both input and output at the motor head. Not sure that's worth the $50 or so difference in price but it would be to me long term.

SteveU

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a cascade 700 on my 56 gallon column and I wont say that I love the filter but it does keep the water clear. My only complaint is that the trays in the canister do let quite a bit past them. I dont really see anything coming out of the filter return, but when I clean the filter there is quite a bit of decent sized matter in the top. I use that and a small topfin powerhead I had laying around. For that though Id shop ebay. I found 1200s for alot less than $120. So in summary, its not the best, but for a budget its better than a HOB.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I got an Eheim 2217 on e-bay for my 55gal for $85. It has strong, magnificent flow, reaches all the way over to the other side and I don't need to use my power head at all.

Very pleased with it!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I got an Eheim 2217 on e-bay for my 55gal for $85. It has strong, magnificent flow, reaches all the way over to the other side and I don't need to use my power head at all.

Very pleased with it!!
I agree that an Eheim 2217 is great for a 55g. Its cheaper than 2 XP2's or an XP4 and ime much more quiet.

I was gonna snatch this deal up but here you go: :icon_smil

·
Registered
399 Posts
One 2217 would not be enough for a 55g. Great filter but I would add that to a 2215 or at least a 2213.
One 2217 is what I have running on my 55g and I actually had to drill out the holes bigger on the spray bar and make more holes to spread/diffuse the flow because the current was too strong.

The only thing that the Rena XP models have over the Eheim classics is that they have a little more media capacity when comparing similarly sized models.

The XP's advertised flow rates are when empty, so it drops considerably when full of media.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I understand. I own 3 renas and 3 Eheims. A 2217 is simply not enough for a 55g.
In your opinion that is. It all comes down to your preference I suppose. I have a single 2026 in my 75g tank and it's plenty. I'm sure a single 2217 can be made to work in a 55g tank too. They do make much cheaper ways to get extra circulation if needed (powerheads, etc.).

-Dave

·
Registered
701 Posts
It is also my opinion that the op would not be satisfied after spending $150 on a filter that doesnt give him proper circulation in his tank. This is what they asked for dont get upset I didnt suggest an eheim.
:hihi: I wasn't upset in the least, just giving a different opinion.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It also depends on a lot of other factors. Personally I like to run two filters on bigger tanks but I think you could get away with a single 2217 on a 55 unless your running reactors, inline heaters, uv's whatnot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts