The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not sure about the tetras, but the purple harlequins are just a different color variation. As far as the rainbow fish go, I'm actually raising some fry right now that are less than 1/4". They're 11 days old and eating hikari first bites and microworms.

Basic info though is that they're very peaceful, very active, can be shy around other fish until they're comfortable, prefer small live and frozen foods. They can be trained onto pellet and flake. I know they also like some tannins in their water. Breeding them is rather simple since their sexual dimorphism is similar to guppies. What's interesting is they breed like substrate spawning killis. The eggs can survive diapause just like killi eggs. Good jumpers too so keep a lid or lots of floaters. They appreciate a heavily planted tank with broken sight lines so males can hide from one another.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've never seen extensive chasing. The males usually claim a small area and once a competitor has left they usually leave them be, but what's cool is they constantly flare. Even at fish that won't breed with them. I believe they're schooling fish similar to guppies. In the past I kept them in a 2:1 female:male ratio, but I've seen them kept successfully in pairs. I wouldn't recommend a solitary fish though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You could comfortably house more than that. I had 2 males and 4 females in a 15 gallon planted at one point. They don't attack other fish. They don't even defend themselves if attacked. I'm not sure about betta females to be honest. She may get harassed if she enters one of the males' territory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts