The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into some unusual fish, can you give me some care info on them? The fish I'm looking into are:
Gold tetras. Are these guys basically regular tetra care? I can't find much info on them.
Pseudomugil gertrudae, spotted blue-eye rainbowfish. From what I read, these guys are fairly simple to care for. My tank's PH is about 7.2, will they be okay with that? Also, are they aggressive towards others, and do they have any specific food requirements?
Anyone ever seen purple harlequin rasboras? I know they're basically just harlequins, so I'm thinking of getting a few, as I found somewhere that sells them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not sure about the tetras, but the purple harlequins are just a different color variation. As far as the rainbow fish go, I'm actually raising some fry right now that are less than 1/4". They're 11 days old and eating hikari first bites and microworms.

Basic info though is that they're very peaceful, very active, can be shy around other fish until they're comfortable, prefer small live and frozen foods. They can be trained onto pellet and flake. I know they also like some tannins in their water. Breeding them is rather simple since their sexual dimorphism is similar to guppies. What's interesting is they breed like substrate spawning killis. The eggs can survive diapause just like killi eggs. Good jumpers too so keep a lid or lots of floaters. They appreciate a heavily planted tank with broken sight lines so males can hide from one another.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely getting me some gold tetras. They're really pretty... Do you suppose they'd school with the glowlights I have? The glowlights aren't picky about schooling buddies, they're schooling with my pencilfish right now.

I feed all frozen food anyway, due to food allergies in the family and gluten being banned from the house, so feeding the rainbows won't be a problem. Do you think having one male and several females would be a good mix for the rainbows, or would a single male be okay on his own?
I'm gonna hold off on them until I get more plants in the tank, but they're on my list of things to get. There's some wood in the tank that gives it a bit of a tannin tint, so they should be alright in there.
How serious are male-on-male fights? Just a bit of chasing, flaring, and fin-nipping, or something that could actually hurt them? I mean, I know too much chasing is bad, but a little bit of pursuit is usually okay.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've never seen extensive chasing. The males usually claim a small area and once a competitor has left they usually leave them be, but what's cool is they constantly flare. Even at fish that won't breed with them. I believe they're schooling fish similar to guppies. In the past I kept them in a 2:1 female:male ratio, but I've seen them kept successfully in pairs. I wouldn't recommend a solitary fish though.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 65 gallon tank, do you think that would be enough territory for two males and four or so females? it's gonna have plenty of plants.
All the flaring would be nice, what with those fins. Will they chase other fish, or just flare at them?
Also, how do you think they'd act towards female bettas? What about a sulawesi goby?

·
Registered
339 Posts
You could comfortably house more than that. I had 2 males and 4 females in a 15 gallon planted at one point. They don't attack other fish. They don't even defend themselves if attacked. I'm not sure about betta females to be honest. She may get harassed if she enters one of the males' territory.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I actually have both. Probabbly dont have enough golds, only 2- and I find them being quite bossy, maybe cuz of that. They dont seem as peaceful as the other tetras I have in there. Wouldnt call em aggressive, but they chase others more often vs glolights, cardinals, neons.

My gertrudae were all super peaceful! and tiny!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think I'll go with six total of the rainbowfish, once my tank is a bit more heavily planted. The bettas are all little spitfires, and they will let you know if you aren't wanted. I had this one endler who used to always chase after the female bettas, until one got fed up and bit half his tail fin off. He left her alone then.

Do the golds actually bite, or just chase? My pencils chase random fish occasionally, but they don't bite anyone.

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found out those gold tetras actually derive their color from a sort of parasite, so only the wild ones have the color. Anyone know a good source for the wild-caught ones?
I think maybe those are more or less what I mean... The photos I found were lighter colored, but I do like those.
@PunknDestroy, that'd be awesome! None of the few places that sell them have male/female selecting, so I could end up with a lot of males and no females. What's a number that gives me a good chance of ending up with a decent number of females without having to spend a lot? I know a place that'd probably offer me decent trade-in value for any spare males.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I only learned about the wild/farmed colour differences recently thanks to mr. limpet. I find that every gold tetra ive seen in stores are the 'wild' form, I have never seen the stripey onese for sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts