The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Years ago I was watching Rachel O'Leary on youtube and she mentioned in passing a silicone cover that fit over the python water changer that had holes in it big enough to let in debris but too small for fish to get sucked in. I can't find that video but I really really want to find that product or something similar.

Yes, I know I can take some pantyhose and put it over the python, but then the holes are too small and debris just gets stuck to the pantyhose. Think holes bigger then those on a pasta strainer.

I've searched for this but can't find anything. Does anyone have any leads on a device like this? Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Not sure about a silicone cover, but I use a piece of this rubber banded over the end of the python:

Works great. Perfect size to let mulm and small debris through but not critters.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Message her on youtube.
I found her email online and sent her a message asking about it. I would like to find the silicone option as it looked pretty easy to work with.

Not sure about a silicone cover, but I use a piece of this rubber banded over the end of the python:

Works great. Perfect size to let mulm and small debris through but not critters.
This is a great idea in the interim. I had some 1/4" bird netting lying around and gave that a go:

This should work well until I can find the silicone cover (assuming it still exists).

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
667 Posts
I jus insert a net cup to the suction tube, the smallest one that comes with plant purchase.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is great info. I have very small fish in the new newt set up and was worried about sucking them up. Ordering one of these right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts