The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got 12 threadfin rainbowfish, Iriatherina werneri. Unfortunately, it looks like all of them are males. I read somewhere online that some suppliers do that, only sell one sex. Anyway, I'm hoping someone can point me to a source that will ship them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was able to buy both males and females from Wet Spot Tropical Fish.

Make sure you quarantine them, though. Mine all developed a mild case of ich a few days after delivery. Probably just stress related.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you checked at petco? Of all the petshops I've looked at for fish, that was the first and only place I saw threadfin fish. Really interesting fish.

I must confess, I don't remember if they were all males XD.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Did you get them from a store or online? If a store go back and see if they have any. Females are really easy to notice as they do not have the long filaments that the males do. If the store had females they might have avoided netting them because they are not as nice looking. If not I would look for a breeder and ask them. I just looked on aquabid and there are five different sellers offering them. Just contact them before bidding and ask if they have females they can send you. Just hold on to the e-mails if they say that they can. I tried buying female scarlet badis off aquabid, and after saying they could I was sent two males and they tried to act like they didn't say they could provide females. I forwarded them the e-mail and got a full refund.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to buy both males and females from Wet Spot Tropical Fish.

Make sure you quarantine them, though. Mine all developed a mild case of ich a few days after delivery. Probably just stress related.
I got mine from the wet spot as well. I may have 1 female, but it could just be a younger male. I didn't quarantine, but the order from wet spot were the 1st fish into the tank, and so far it seems to be working out. I know, I know, bad form, but I've never had a good experience quarantining.

Did you get them from a store or online? If a store go back and see if they have any. Females are really easy to notice as they do not have the long filaments that the males do. If the store had females they might have avoided netting them because they are not as nice looking. If not I would look for a breeder and ask them. I just looked on aquabid and there are five different sellers offering them. Just contact them before bidding and ask if they have females they can send you. Just hold on to the e-mails if they say that they can. I tried buying female scarlet badis off aquabid, and after saying they could I was sent two males and they tried to act like they didn't say they could provide females. I forwarded them the e-mail and got a full refund.
Online. I'll try messaging them, but I think that people (and older male threadfins) mistake younger males for females.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Pretty much all of my LFS have threadfin rainbows. Every place I have seen has sold female threadfins along side males, so it does seem strange that they would only sell males.

Usually when only males are sold is when the fish are rare and they don't want people breeding them so they keep all the profit, or if females are just highly bland and don't bring in any sales.

If you provide pictures I can help identify if you do have females. Pretty sure you would have females.

But pretty much the females are considerably smaller, don't have elongated pronounced finnage and their colors don't really rival males. Where as males have elongated fins, bigger bodied, more coloring, with red or blue coloring on the tail/caudal fin edges. The males will fin display (circle and flash/erect their fins, at rival males and to court females). Females don't fin display like males.

I am sure Aquabid has some people selling some. It would be worth asking your LFS though if they could get a shipment in, that way you don't have to pay shipping (but you do pay tax...)

Great choice of fish though!

@PickieBee, just a FYI, ich is not caused by stress, it only comes from an infected source. In that case, your new fish might have had ich (it can take a week for the ich spots/cysts to become visible).

I have order thousands of dollars worth of fish from Wet Spot. Threadfins included and I did receive a even Male to Female ratio (which Wet Spot always tries to do). Wet Spot in all my experience with them, have the healthiest fish I have gotten from any source, even better than LFS's, as they are less stressed and not exposed to more possible contaminated water. They do quarantine any tanks they see that have possibly infected fish and they won't sell until they are sure they are disease free (I know as even though they know me, there was some rarer fish I wanted that they had for sale, but were in a tank with some disease and they still wouldn't sell to me until it was cured). But since they sell so many fish, it is still possible they missed an infection.

But now knowing the OP bought from Wet Spot, it is even more likely he does have some females. A pic would definitely help. I can differentiate between young males and females ;)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Even when I was a new customer to WetSpot they would sex the fish. They don't guarantee the sexes (incase they misidentify, don't know how to differentiate, or don't have them available), but they will try their best to fulfill the genders you want, even says so on their site. I have personally asked them to do so, many times and they have always done so. Jessica Supalla, online sales manager, even told me they always try to do a even M:F ratio even if not requested (they try to send ratios that will do best, whether even M:F ratio or more Females depending on species, but will try to fulfill requests if you want all males or all females, within reason of course as they have other customers). Just mentioning my experience with them.

EDIT: Oh, checked on the site and it seems Jessica doesn't work there anymore and Chelsea is now the online sales manager. I haven't talked with Chelsea much, but have dealt with Jessica and Quinn many times, haven't heard of Katie before. Jessica has been great. Quinn is good too, but seems you gotta remind him sometimes of certain requests (gender requests and different shipping method). He is rather new haha. Best to reconfirm order and requests through email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.