The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone knows if any of their local shops/breeders stock in amphibians. I am specifically looking for newts/salamanders. Currently, Taricha granulosa, often sold as 'oregon newt','rough-skinned newt', 'orange bellied newt', is on my list. I am currently collecting them for breeding for someone I know. I just bought out my local store of Taricha granulosa, so I was wondering if anyone can point me in a direction of a Chicagoland/NW Indiana store that you know currently has any oregon newt in stock that doesnt look like it is going to die.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
How about Animal Island (708-293-0600) in Midlothian or Chicago Aquarium (708-403-1810) in Orland Park? Chicago Aquarium is part of another pet store, which is connected. I just forgot the name of the other shop.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh, spend a lot of time in Orland park, and never knew of Chicago aquarium. All i knew are the PetChain and Chicago Reptile. If Chicago Aquarium is part of Chicago Reptile, it is all saltwater, met some people there that told me Aragonite was the same thing as Tahitian Moon sand. The even said I could use Calci-sand for reptiles with my salamanders. yeah- that is not a good idea. No salamanders in Chicago reptiles, only amphibians i see there are frogs.
Never been the place in Midlothian. I hate a date at Flying Tigers some maybe when i go there I can hunt for Animal Island.
Since you suggested it, can you tell me more about it? such as, what the they sell, and how well are the animals kept?
Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You should check out Old Town Aquarium they are at North Ave. and Wells St. (1538 N. Wells) They are a little bit pricy, yet they have very high quality livestock. I have seen salamanders, newts and frogs there. I think I may have seen an oregon newt on display in one of their tanks. It had an orange belly and some brown wrinkly skin on it. They all looked very healthy. I have never had a bad experience with anything I have bought from them. Aside from the Blue Ram I bought last week that I think I poisioned with CO2 (my fault not theirs).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just did a google search on Taricha granulosa and that is exactly what I think I saw at Old Town Aquarium. Thay had at least 4 of them in one tank when I was there on Monday this week. I don't know if they sell like hot cakes or not. Hours for Old Town are:

Mon- Noon- 7pm
Tue- Noon- 8pm
Wed- Noon- 7pm
Thurs-Noon-8pm
Fri- Noon-7pm
Sat- 11am-6pm
Sun- Noon- 6pm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really do not like Old Town, too expensice and the people there were rude to me the times I went in, but these newts usually do not sell like hotcakes so i will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up! Usualy they are "novelty items".
I do agree they have some nice displays tho. I hope they do not have them with frogs or fish or in a heated tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts