The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
there was just a whole post on how you can't import any shrimp pretty much to Hawaii, so not sure who's going to be able to ship to you since you really can't.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
With shipping to Hawaii, you need to have specific permission to import shrimps. There is an approved list which you will need to find, then jump through a whole bunch of hoops while standing on one foot. I think you need to contact the HI dept of agriculture?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I've looked on the list of illegal animals and don't see any freshwater shrimp on it, you can find it here:

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/Info/doa_importing/traveler/importing-animals-to-hawaii
Bottom of the page though "Any animal that is not found on any of the lists is considered prohibited."

and other than some Macro shrimp and brine shrimp on this list http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/admin-rules/subtitle-6-division-of-plant-industry/AR-71C.pdf they are not listed there, so if they are not listed, according to above, they are prohibited.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No, they just went through the proper channels and filled out the proper paperwork if any. You should try calling the HI dept of Agriculture to see what is involved. I bet it's not that hard.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Even compared to other government organizations the department of agriculture can be a real PITA from what I have heard. In a state with unique ecosystems that are both culturally and economically important I would imagine that they are even more absurd.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have had shrimp come in and the box inspected by federal agriculture. They are above state ag right?
it passed and there for how can they be not allowed.:eek5::eek5:???
there are no illegal shrimp, you can catch them in the all rivers here.
thats just stupid that shrimp will take over the whole states rivers when they are the bottom of the food chain, especially once all da bass grab um.
peacock bass and tilapia will eat um like candy.
its hard enough getting feeder shrimp for myself LOL!!!

id be more worried if your importing freakin snakes or something harmful, but shrimp.
c'mon man its just a shrimp.
I SAY SHIP UM IN!!!!
if you don't want to then mind your own business and stop hating on us hawaiians. And then GROW A SET!!!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think the wildlife people are worried about non-native shrimp being released into the wild and displacing the native species. Its a real problem. In TX, we have rivers full of Plecos and Cichlids which are definitely not native.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
It's not just the displacing native species, it's also bacteria, parasites and disease which are unique to our species of shrimp, that native shrimp have never had to fight. And shrimp have a primitive immune system, which is ALMOST unable to fight off anything foreign to its surroundings.

I can understand the reasoning behind the ban on shrimp, after all, there are native populations of shrimp there that are in real danger WITHOUT having to compete or survive biological warfare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i agree with your 808afishionado.......we have them here in our rivers but only in the mountain, because once they get down river, all the river fish eats them all. plus, oebts or cardinal will never survive in our weather conditions. i already got some shrimp, red rili, oebts, snow balls but looking to have some cardinals

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.