The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for compact plants in the 4 to 8 inch range. I've tried S. Repens, Hygrophila corymbosa and AR, but they just didn't do great in pool filter sand.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Hopefully, suggestions of those that fall into the easier side to keep.

I might want to remove the Lotus and this is where I would plant.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yea, that's the one things that makes it either really awesome or absolutely terrible, depending on your situation. Looks like you've already got most of my other suggestions in there already lol maybe a dwarf sword? Those are kind of slow growing too, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, that's the one things that makes it either really awesome or absolutely terrible, depending on your situation. Looks like you've already got most of my other suggestions in there already lol maybe a dwarf sword? Those are kind of slow growing too, though.
I'm trying micro swords now. Just put them in. Hopefully, they aren't Parva slow. 😆

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I second Crypts . Mine grow fairly quickly and put out a ton of runners in low tech tanks .

Reactions: LTom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do not use sand for swimming pools, it compacts and prevents the full development of the roots of your plants.

use sand granulometry greater than 1 mm

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I second Crypts . Mine grow fairly quickly and put out a ton of runners in low tech tanks .
Yeah, looking through some options and I think crypts make alot of sense for the hight.
Thank you.

Do not use sand for swimming pools, it compacts and prevents the full development of the roots of your plants.

use sand granulometry greater than 1 mm
I have noticed compacting. This was originally a blackwater tank, so I used sand. At some point, I'll swap the substrate, but the tank is going pretty well. I would hate to disrupt it now.
On water change day, I use my tools to poke and pull up on the substrate to loosen it. The picture in the original post is the tank just a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You don't need to disturb it too much a big turkey baster used to "puffiing" the mulm out while you do a water change, just work over all of the open areas.

Note that this white colored sand tends to amplify the lighting by reflecting it back and can cause unwanted algae growth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If that is your tank, pretty much change nothing, as it is already legendary.

If you feel you must, try some blyxa japonica.

Pygmy chain swords stay nice and small, and look a bit more natural, rather than growing like picket fence in a straight line like some of the others mentioned.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If that is your tank, pretty much change nothing, as it is already legendary.

If you feel you must, try some blyxa japonica.

Pygmy chain swords stay nice and small, and look a bit more natural, rather than growing like picket fence in a straight line like some of the others mentioned.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm going to try the Blyxa you recommend. It looks very nice.

·
Registered
biOrb LIFE 45 L, planted, EI dosing, CO2 injected
18 Posts
I've been giving Lobelia cardinalis 'Dwarf' a go as a smaller version of Lobelia cardinalis 'Wavy'. So far so good and is advertised as coming in around your listed size range. I'm growing in aquasoil with EI dosing, so not sand, but worth a try as they adapt to submerged growth very straightforwardly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beautiful tank. 75 gallon I assume?
Yes, 75 gallon. And thank you.

I've been giving Lobelia cardinalis 'Dwarf' a go as a smaller version of Lobelia cardinalis 'Wavy'. So far so good and is advertised as coming in around your listed size range. I'm growing in aquasoil with EI dosing, so not sand, but worth a try as they adapt to submerged growth very straightforwardly.
Oh wow, that's a nice plant. I'm going to give it a try. Thank you!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts