The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay this is what I am wanting to do. I have an empty 55 gallon tank. I am wanting to use this tank for my shrimp that need acidic water, CRS, Tiger. I am only wanting to use 1 co2 tank and 1 controller to keep the co2 stabilized. If I do this then I am going to need a divider that allows the water to circulate but doesn't allow shrimp to pass, including shrimplettes. This is my plan. will it work? I have no clue. Take some Plexiglas and drill holes in it, all over the place. Then take pantyhose and wrap it around the Plexiglas and use that as a divider. Do you think this will allow enough water circulation so that the co2 can distribute evenly. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the Plexiglas and sliding the spray bar through it so that 1/2 the outtake of the water will be going into both sides.

What do you guys think, any better ideas?

Thanks for helping :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't understand why you would have to divide the tank. but if you insist , you could make a frame out of 1/2" or 1" pvc and wrap it with green mesh from the fabric store (I use it for making ricca stones) If you're handy with a needle and thread you can sew it so it stays nice and tight.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand why you would have to divide the tank. but if you insist , you could make a frame out of 1/2" or 1" pvc and wrap it with green mesh from the fabric store (I use it for making ricca stones) If you're handy with a needle and thread you can sew it so it stays nice and tight.
I need to divide it or my CRS and Tiger shrimp will breed with each other which is not what I want.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I think that any mesh that would be small enough to contain baby shrimp would be so small that it would soon clog due to bacteria and algae growth. Not to mention working as a filter in the tank.

I hate to say it but I really don't think that this idea is feasible.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm with Rex....

What you could do is seal both sides off completely...build a sump with baffles out of a ten gallon or something and inject your co2 into that and have two overflows and two small return pumps for both sides.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yup. best bet is seal it in the middle and make them totally seperate. this will require filtration on both sides. And CO2 can be managed by splitting with a manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.