The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to start a shell dwellers tank soon and I was looking for a perfect substrate for them. I hoped I could use a crushed coral sand I brought from South Florida beach, but I soaked it and rinsed it several times and it still stinks like sh#%^$. I am planning to use a coral rock in that tank to raise PH so I need a white substrate. I have some black fluorite left but will it look good with white rocks and shell dwellers? So my question is where to get white sand? I tried both Lowe's and Home Depot here in Brooklyn but all they have is playsand which is yellowish. So, white sand anyone?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Best bet is to find a pool supply store and get the pool filter sand. They usually have two types, a darker one and a pure white sand. Ive been using it with pretty good success for 8 months now. Be warned though, it wont stay that pretty white for long. You have to constantly mix up the sand if you want it to keep white.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best bet is to find a pool supply store and get the pool filter sand. They usually have two types, a darker one and a pure white sand. Ive been using it with pretty good success for 8 months now. Be warned though, it wont stay that pretty white for long. You have to constantly mix up the sand if you want it to keep white.
Thanks. I am planning to stock my tank with multis so they stri the substrate for me I hope:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts