The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm thinking about setting up a shrimp only tank and have been looking into my options on species/color. Originally I was planning on keeping a neocaridina and a caridina in the same tank for variety, but the more research I've done it seems like it might be difficult to keep the tank at levels that would be okay for both.

Is there a shrimp that would produce some variety in color, but still breed mostly true? I've been leaning towards tiger shrimp, but I've read they can be quite difficult. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Mischling shrimp (Caridina) can produce a wide variety of different patterned offspring (depending on crossed genes). Pretty much you could have a tank of Mischlings and add whatever Caridinas you want to add more to the melting pot. Not exactly along the lines of "breeding true", but it is cool to see what patterned offspring pop up (some can be expensive shrimp).

Breeding true is meant as the offspring will look like the parents (coloration and all). OEBT (Orange eyed blue tiger) don't breed 100% true, throwing out blondes and lighter shade tigers (lower quality). It does depend on the strains through. Not really hard to breed tigers.

Neon Yellow Neocaridinas breed very true. So do Tangerine Tiger Caridinas, so that combination could work. Tigers water preference range is closer to Neos than most softer acidic water Caridinas.

Mixing different colored Neos would result in wild/brown offspring.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mischling shrimp (Caridina) can produce a wide variety of different patterned offspring (depending on crossed genes). Pretty much you could have a tank of Mischlings and add whatever Caridinas you want to add more to the melting pot. Not exactly along the lines of "breeding true", but it is cool to see what patterned offspring pop up (some can be expensive shrimp).

Breeding true is meant as the offspring will look like the parents (coloration and all). OEBT (Orange eyed blue tiger) don't breed 100% true, throwing out blondes and lighter shade tigers (lower quality). It does depend on the strains through. Not really hard to breed tigers.

Neon Yellow Neocaridinas breed very true. So do Tangerine Tiger Caridinas, so that combination could work. Tigers water preference range is closer to Neos than most softer acidic water Caridinas.

Mixing different colored Neos would result in wild/brown offspring.
I'd never heard of mischlings before. I'll look into them!

What I meant by "breeding true" was that they wouldn't revert to their wild colors in a couple of generations.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Blue Diamond neocaridina shrimp will occasionally throw out browns and reds because they haven't been bred true long enough. I have mine with tangerine tigers, which are probably easier to keep than neos.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue Diamond neocaridina shrimp will occasionally throw out browns and reds because they haven't been bred true long enough. I have mine with tangerine tigers, which are probably easier to keep than neos.
Those are both very cool looking. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not go with rainbow shrimp?
I can't find any info on these. Are they neos? Thanks!

Bump:
I know years ago I got Caridina babaulti "green" that were a variety of colors including green, yellow and orange. If that was a mistake on the vendors part I do not know but it might be worth looking into. Perhaps others here could comment on that matter as well.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into them. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.