The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im going to be setting up a new 40 gallon over the next month, which leaves me with the opportunity to convert my 10 gallon into a shrimp only breeding tank :)

i really like cherry shrimp, and will be getting those, but i was also interested in these malaysian rainbow shrimp http://www.azgardens.com/p-210-algae-eating-shrimp-malaysian-rainbow.aspx anyone have experience with them? any chance of cross breeding? and how likely are the rainbow shrimp to breed?
i don't have any experience breeding shrimp so this will be a new endeavor for me.
all suggestions GREATLY appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'd say that you can safely house them together. Since the cherry shrimp are a neocardinia species and the rainbows a cardinia species, they will not cross breed. I have the rainbows in with my yellow shrimp and all is well, no crossovers. The rainbow shrimp also breed quite readily if the conditions are good. My water is slightly basic with a gh around 8 no ammonia and no nitrite, obviously. I have them with lots of java moss and regular water changes with cooler water. I found that changing the water with cooler RO water induces molting, which induces breeding.
The only thing I found was that when I first got the rainbow shrimp, around 3 out of the 6 died within two days. I don't know if it was the shrimp, however, I also have to add that I didn't acclimate them at all, but just dumped the batch into the aquarium :icon_roll
Overall they are rather prolific and eat just about anything. I don't see any problems with keeping them in the same tank :) .

Good luck

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, thanks hobbes!! i'm very excited to get these guys :) my 10 gallon is heavily planted with moss, hairgrass, and lots of stem plants & stays at 78 degrees, so i think they will be happy there

·
Registered
48 Posts
It would be interesting to hear how they do for you and to see some pictures of the shrimp after you get them in your tanks, if you get the chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts