The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, i'm new to the forum. Was wondering if there was a chance to try and trade some plants with folks in the Denver metro area? I'm a med. student over on the CU Anchutz campus and with the hours they require us to be in the hospital i can't ever get plants ordered in anymore since I'm never home during apt. complex office hours to collect UPS packages.

Looking for:

Blyxa auberti
Onion plants
Proserpinaca palustris
Different rotalas
Blyxa Japonica
Baby elephant ears, glossostigma or other ground cover plants.
Duck weed....my rainbows just flatten the stuff, and ate out the last of it. Finally got another tank where i can grow it without it being annihilated.

Would also be open to just seeing what else folks have extra pieces of.

I have the following i could trade:

Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii)
Ludwigia, narrow leaf (Ludwigia palustris)
Corkscrew val
Giant Jungle val
Banana plants
Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Red
Cryptocoryne, Pontederifolia (Cryptocoryne pontederifolia)
Cryptocoryne, Lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea)
Anubias, barteri - think this is what it is, but would have to double check.
Java fern.

There's a few others in the tanks, but they're not always co-operative in producing a lot of extras at the moment. Would be interested to see what folks have!!

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Do they eat azola?
I have some rotalas you might be interested in. I am growing out some S. subulata if you want some and I have some Elocharis vivapara which is doing well.

I am looking for the prosperpinaca myself.

I am sure we could work out a few trades.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Do they eat azola?
I have some rotalas you might be interested in. I am growing out some S. subulata if you want some and I have some Elocharis vivapara which is doing well.

Not to hijack the posted reply but I did a search after seeing your reply because I was not familiar with one of the the plants (living is learning).
Posting because I provide extra trimmings to a coworker for his aquatic turtle tank.
Azolla filicoides (water fern) in several search results was reported as a favorite food. I think Matt could easily produce this plant in a shallow grow pan like the ones I used for my LFABN.

Interested on his behalf if starter plants are available after your transactions are complete with the OP.
Reported to be a preferred food for turtles has me interested.

sorry OP

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Well it snowed last night so I'm not sure what is out there now but the azolla grows like crazy. (like duckweed). They say it makes a great compost in parts of Asia. I'm sure if you look around you can find some locally for essentially nothing. I bought some water hyacinth (another great compost)this summer and got the azolla as a hitch hiker.
Just to note I do have a bit of duckweed growing also.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hi folks, i'm new to the forum. Was wondering if there was a chance to try and trade some plants with folks in the Denver metro area? I'm a med. student over on the CU Anchutz campus and with the hours they require us to be in the hospital i can't ever get plants ordered in anymore since I'm never home during apt. complex office hours to collect UPS packages.

Looking for:

Blyxa auberti
Onion plants
Proserpinaca palustris
Different rotalas
Blyxa Japonica
Baby elephant ears, glossostigma or other ground cover plants.
Duck weed....my rainbows just flatten the stuff, and ate out the last of it. Finally got another tank where i can grow it without it being annihilated.

Would also be open to just seeing what else folks have extra pieces of.

I have the following i could trade:

Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii)
Ludwigia, narrow leaf (Ludwigia palustris)
Corkscrew val
Giant Jungle val
Banana plants
Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Red
Cryptocoryne, Pontederifolia (Cryptocoryne pontederifolia)
Cryptocoryne, Lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea)
Anubias, barteri - think this is what it is, but would have to double check.
Java fern.

There's a few others in the tanks, but they're not always co-operative in producing a lot of extras at the moment. Would be interested to see what folks have!!

Thanks, Ryan
Do they eat azola?

for the two of you.... Proserpinaca palustris can be had at Aqua Imports, I purchased a few bunches earlier in the year from them. Just ask to put it on the wish list, and they will see if they can still get it.

Zimbo, what type of lighting and are you running co2? I have several species of plant you might be interested in lol. I have a wait list at the moment, I owe some Rotala 'green' to Eden Mardel here soon after I get it to start filling in in my tank.

So, at some point soon I could have some
Rotala Macandra 'red/green' changes on its mood lol
Limnophilia Indica (working on regrowing it out in my flora now, it is algae an algae prone plant, and I have to restart it occationally)
Limnophilia Aromatica - I am working on replacing it in my flora and main tank)
Pogostemon Stellata 'broad leaf' - (it will be a bit before I have more of this stuff, I do have one stem available now though if you want it.
Pogostemon erectus - I can trim quite a bit of this right away, this is a MONSTER plant lol, I started three months ago with 4 stems, and now have 20+ between two tanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for the two of you.... Proserpinaca palustris can be had at Aqua Imports, I purchased a few bunches earlier in the year from them. Just ask to put it on the wish list, and they will see if they can still get it.

Thanks Noahma, honestly, i don't know where or what Aqua Imports is. I've typically always gotten my plants from aquariumplants.com. All of the aquarium stores i ever have found in Denver i have been rather dissapointed in their plants....so gave up looking in the stores here.

Zimbo, what type of lighting and are you running co2?

So my main planted tanks are a 90 gallon with power compacts, metal halides and pressurized CO2, and then a 75 with T5HO, no CO2, and there's a number of smaller tanks (9) that i use for breeding rainbow fish that mostly have plants in in one shape or form.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Thanks Noahma, honestly, i don't know where or what Aqua Imports is. I've typically always gotten my plants from aquariumplants.com. All of the aquarium stores i ever have found in Denver i have been rather dissapointed in their plants....so gave up looking in the stores here.
Aqua Imports is a very nice LFS in Boulder. I have been there and they were wiped out in terms of plant stock but they were very helpful and what they had left was in good shape and the quality and variety of livestock that they have (fresh and saltwater both) leads me to believe that they have good supplier hook-ups.

If I remember correctly Noahma likes them because they have a good stock list and will work with you to order from it when they are getting shipments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts