The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, fishy folks! I've been away from the hobby for many years, but I'm getting back into it. I've never had an actual "planted tank" before, just the odd live plant now and then. I'm getting a 125 gallon tank soon and plan to set it up as a planted tetra/South American biotope tank. A couple of large plecostomus (plecostomi?) are coming with the tank, so I'm fast-tracking the nitrogen cycle in a 55 for them to live in temporarily while I get the 125 set up, and right now it's planted with plastic plants (which are thriving!). In the past I've collected and kept native fish, and plan to get back into that, too. Is there anyone in the Philadelphia area who is into any of these aspects of the hobby? For now, I'll be focusing on getting the 125 going, but I have a few 55 and smaller tanks that I'll probably set up, with at least one 55 being for natives only. I'd like to find someone reasonably close who would like to eventually go collecting. I still have my lonely old seine net ready and waiting, and a cooler or two, and I'm looking forward to scouting the local creeks and rivers. Feel free to message me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The smalles fishing pole you got and 2-4 pound test line along with a 22 oo hook does a nice job of catching even the smallest of fish, remember to collapse the barb. I got native plants going now and intend to fill with native fish soon, mostly sunfish, green earred, blue gill, warmouth if I can find one.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Lol, I kept some bluegill as a kid. All I remember is cigarette butt sized poop.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The smalles fishing pole you got and 2-4 pound test line along with a 22 oo hook does a nice job of catching even the smallest of fish, remember to collapse the barb. I got native plants going now and intend to fill with native fish soon, mostly sunfish, green earred, blue gill, warmouth if I can find one.
Get a cast net.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have several cast nets, 4, 6, 8 footers, they are pretty tough to use on a pond with lots of tree branches on the bottom.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a cast net.
I have several cast nets, 4, 6, 8 footers, they are pretty tough to use on a pond with lots of tree branches on the bottom.
Yeah, most of the collecting I've done has been in small creeks and pond/lake edges with plant growth, so I don't think a cast net will work very well in that type of spot. Plus, I've never used one and have no one to instruct me in the way to throw one. I've seen them used when I lived in Florida, and it looked like there was a knack to it. The hook and line idea may work well for some species, though, especially sunfish; I may try that. Thanks for the suggestions!

So, is there no one in this area who is interested in plants or native fish?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
@Olskule, I'm from Philly, MS. Sending PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts