The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 ½ gallon tank I was going to use for my shrimp and some plants. The problem I’m having is trying to find a light for it. The tank is 16” wide and the one light I did find says it only goes up to 15” :icon_roll . So now I’m looking for ideas. Do any of you know of a light that will work on my tank?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think 18w is going to be enough light for this tank. I found an 8 gallon tank from Jalli which is 16" wide and it comes with a 36w light but I can't seem to find just the light. Is that the same fixture just with a different bulb in it? If that’s the case then I’ll just pick up a different bulb to put in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
go to home depot. get two screw-in slight sockets and two extention cords. . cut the female (the end that you plug other stuff into) end off the extention cords. strip the ends of the wires. wrap the ends around the little screws on the bottoms of the sockets (might want to look online for which wire goes where, i know it makes a difference)

wrap the whole mess in electrical tape. no its not pretty. go to walmart and get a couple 6500k spiral compact flourecent bulbs. here is where you can choose how much light you want. you can get two 13w, two 15w, two 20w, two 26w, two 30w, etc. mount the fixtures to a piece of wood or inside your hood if you have one or want to build one.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Yep. Just got a 5 gal. tank w/ their lights. Not too shabby with two bulbs. The middle is a little dark, but it's fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts