The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm trying to see what are some good cheep options for a filter system. Right now I'm using a HOB system and I'm slowly realizing it is not going to be as good as it could be with another kind. esspically when I'm starting to look at co2 systems down the road (month or two).

I hear that a eheim is the way to go, but I know nothing about them and how they work.

I know that with a HOB system it filters the water though a corse filter then a carbon bag with a mesh on it then back out into the tank.

That is about the extent of my know how of how they work.

Some one sujested an eheim 2213 (not sure if that is right or what that means other than a model).

Thoughts and suggestions?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just bought my brother the eheim 2213 for his 54 gallon. It came with a spray bar with several holes on one side for the out flow. And for the intake it had just a normal plastic intake with slits in it, I also bought him the pre filter for this so he wouldnt have to clean the canister as much, just clean the prefilter itself every few weeks.
Filter (Both pieces i described are in this picture)
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753158
Pre-Filter
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753136

I plan on buying eheim classics for all my tanks, after i purchase co2 systems for them.
It was easy to setup, and is very quite.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I recently purchased a Eheim 2215 for my 90gal. Setup was extremely easy. When I plugged it in, I had to put my hand on the canister to make sure it was running. This filter make no noise.

I split the output to a UV sterilizer and a Phosban reactor. The flow rate doesn't seem like much, but the water is crystal clear. (I recently ordered a 2217 impeller (from e-bay) to replace the current one to increase flow rate.

I didn't use the spray bar because I wanted to minimize surface interaction.

I too am planning to add a C02 pressurized system as soon as I get my phosphates and algae under control.

The pre-filter looks like an "interesting" addition.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I checked two stores already and one left that opens in like 15mins, but so far none of them have a the 2213 classic. All i've seen is the 'ecco' line. If it came down to it are these fine/worth it, or should I just order one online and get a classic?

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I looked at these filters I couldn't justify the higher costs of the non-"classic" filters for no apparent gains of the same sized units.

No store around here (what few there are) carries them so I ordered mine online. I got mine from here:

bigalsonline (i wasn't allowed to post the full url)

They are offering free shipping and a 10% off coupon.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The ecco one that I would be looking at would be a 2232, depending on what you all say about my option here.
Depends on the size of your tank, I run a ecco 2234 on my 29 gallon, it works well but I would hav preferred the 2236 if I had the money at the time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi ya guys, I ended up finding a Eheim classic 2213 new that I picked up. I already have it set up. I figure might as well put some money into it. Thanks for all the great info. LOL I did end up with the 'BMW' since everyone swears by it, and it's looking like it holds true.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts