The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if i spelt it wrong. Im looking for manzantia wood hopefully some that are in Canada so shipping doesen't kill me anyone know of a place ? I found a few adds on ebay but wanted to know does it have to be sandblasted ? and once in the tank it will have to soak will it grow fungus ?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I got mine out of Cali....get it sandblasted, and soak it for a long long time. I soaked for 2 months, changing water daily....scrub and wash with very hot water at the end and then put it in your tank. It leeches tannins at first, and it takes a long time to sink, so be patient. It is beautiful, so it is worth the wait.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Did you try emailing Manzanitaburlworks.com. He ships at cost... Good company. Doesn't grow up north, obviously.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
good call, Joey

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
i have used manzanita for a few years, and would not sandblast it. the bark is what actually protects the wood from rapid break down, and seems to keep clado away better than parts that are completely exposed. also, the texture and color of the bark is what many people find so appealing about the appearance of manzanita.

also, ive never seen a need to soak it prior to putting it into a tank, but i never would use it if it was sandblasted to begin with.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I still have several pieces left. The bird perchs; depends on what it is. raw, treated, with bark, without, sandblasted or not, or even cut and processed to look like a regular perch. Most people want Manzanita branches, that either have multiple branches or are twisted and contorted. Depends also on what size you want. Anything over 20" would probably cost a lot to ship into canada.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
i have used manzanita for a few years, and would not sandblast it. the bark is what actually protects the wood from rapid break down, and seems to keep clado away better than parts that are completely exposed. also, the texture and color of the bark is what many people find so appealing about the appearance of manzanita.

also, ive never seen a need to soak it prior to putting it into a tank, but i never would use it if it was sandblasted to begin with.
Most everyone who is buying from Manzanita burlworks is getting sandblasted pieces. I haven't had any problem with a big root burl which was sandblasted, and there is no clado on it. But I wish I could say it never gets BBA...;) I do recommend soaking for at least 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still have several pieces left. The bird perchs; depends on what it is. raw, treated, with bark, without, sandblasted or not, or even cut and processed to look like a regular perch. Most people want Manzanita branches, that either have multiple branches or are twisted and contorted. Depends also on what size you want. Anything over 20" would probably cost a lot to ship into canada.

i no lnger have any of this available. see my web site for more details

1 - 10 of 10 Posts