The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a smaller tank and was thinking about getting a small catfish/algae eating fish. I know there are some dwarf cories out there, does anyone have any others they can recommend?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes called the Gold Marble Bristlenose, the Ancistrus claro stays rather small at around 3 inches or so...decent algae demolitionist, too.
Double bonus, I will have to look around for one of those.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ghost shrimp are good scavenging bottom feeders, but not too great on algae. I think Oto's are a good pick too. Kuhli loaches will clean the bottom as well, and they're interesting to watch.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ghost shrimp are good scavenging bottom feeders, but not too great on algae. I think Oto's are a good pick too. Kuhli loaches will clean the bottom as well, and they're interesting to watch.
If they even come out when the lights are on. I can go weeks (or even months) without seeing mine (kuhlis) in a 10 gallon...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Excellent suggestion maybe mix some Ghost with some Ammano Shrimp. AS long as there isnt anything in there that can eat them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If they even come out when the lights are on. I can go weeks (or even months) without seeing mine (kuhlis) in a 10 gallon...
That's crazy. Sorry for you. Mine(I have three) are always around. I have a little rock cave they share with my pleco, an upside down catfish, and sometimes ghost shrimp, but at feeding time I always see at least two of them. I have an UGF and I have looked from the bottom of the tank and seen the BKL's under there, but they can get out so I just leave it alone until I can reset the tank. Maybe you want to have more hiding places for them. They seem to like weaseling under solid objects; probably a rarity in that they LIKE to be stuck between a rock and a hard place!

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's crazy. Sorry for you. Mine(I have three) are always around. I have a little rock cave they share with my pleco, an upside down catfish, and sometimes ghost shrimp, but at feeding time I always see at least two of them. I have an UGF and I have looked from the bottom of the tank and seen the BKL's under there, but they can get out so I just leave it alone until I can reset the tank. Maybe you want to have more hiding places for them. They seem to like weaseling under solid objects; probably a rarity in that they LIKE to be stuck between a rock and a hard place!
It's a matter of having so much to hide in, actually. Lots of Rotala, Java Moss in that tank along with the decorations. They love to find the least accessible places...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.