The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I got my daughter a new tank for her betta and he seems to be much happier with plants, a real light, a real filter, etc. rather than the $20 crap tank with a filter barely big enough to cycle a bottle of water, glow-in-the-dark plastic rocks, and other plastic neon crap...however, I am having one hell of a time fighting this wavy green algae crap in one of my plants and along the soil.

It's a 7000K light, Fluval Stratum in the bottom, tank was cycled about a month ago, and a water change is scheduled for tomorrow. He had a couple of cherry shrimp in there to help with the algae in the plants, but the betta decided to take a bite out of one and killed it, so I moved the other to my bigger tank (where it's doing fine and already has gone through 2 molts since). The white light comes on at 8am, and is off by 5pm. All this week I tried no lights 3 days out of the week and adjusted the flow to angle more towards the plants because I read it could help break things up. It helped for a few days, but I can already see it growing back full force.

There is a nerite snail in the tank with him as well, and the betta gets fed two tiny pinches of food twice a day.

Ignore the dirty glass, that's being cleaned tomorrow during water change (and the floating plant...I keep dislodging it and need to find a better way to anchor it down).

But yeah, any help is greatly appreciated...my kid is sad that her fish keeps having to have a dark tank.

·
Super Moderator
15,785 Posts
Unfortunately looks like the plants you have in a bunch in the back are dead.

Get yourself some fiberlass window screen material and lay 2-3 layers on top of the tank lid. You can move it around a bit to make it darker or lighter. That'll cut down on the huge amount of light the fixture is putting out (I have a bunch of these tanks) and that alone will help quite a bit. As a bonus: the window screen will prevent jumpers and you'll barely notice it when not right up on the tank.

Also cut the photoperiod down to 7 or 8 hours at most.

Those two steps will help you a great deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately looks like the plants you have in a bunch in the back are dead.

Get yourself some fiberlass window screen material and lay 2-3 layers on top of the tank lid. You can move it around a bit to make it darker or lighter. That'll cut down on the huge amount of light the fixture is putting out (I have a bunch of these tanks) and that alone will help quite a bit. As a bonus: the window screen will prevent jumpers and you'll barely notice it when not right up on the tank.

Also cut the photoperiod down to 7 or 8 hours at most.

Those two steps will help you a great deal.
Thank you! I thought they might be dying, but wasn't sure....they seemed so healthy when I got them from the store, nice and bright reds and pinks but now ugly and dull :( I'll be pulling that plant out as soon as I hit "reply". Also, never thought about doing that (the window screen stuff). I seem to suck with light timing, I wonder if my Alexa plugs will let me set up timers :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
15,785 Posts
Thank you! I thought they might be dying, but wasn't sure....they seemed so healthy when I got them from the store, nice and bright reds and pinks but now ugly and dull :( I'll be pulling that plant out as soon as I hit "reply". Also, never thought about doing that (the window screen stuff). I seem to suck with light timing, I wonder if my Alexa plugs will let me set up timers :unsure:
Smart plugs are 100% the way to go. Alexa plugs, TP-Link/Kasa, et al. They'll all work well. Also means you won't have to make any adjustments for daylight savings time.

You could even break the photo period up into a couple different times of day if you wanted. Say, 6-10/7-11 AM so you can enjoy the tank when you're up and getting ready to leave for the day and then 4-8 PM so you can enjoy it once you get home in the evening. Adjust things to fit your lifestyle.

I have most of my freshwater tanks turn on from the time I wake up until midday. Then they kick on again when I'm mulling about in the evening or toward the end of my work day.

But for real - the window screen material is a lifesaver.

Do you have the Betta version of the Spec? The kind with reduced flow? Or is it just gushing out in a torrent into the tank? If the flow is weak enough, you could also consider adding some floating plants like Salvinia or Frogbit.

If it were me, I'd get a couple small Crytpocoryne for the front/sides of the tank and a ton of Java Fern or Needle Leaf/Narrow Leaf Java Fern for the back. Super-easy scape that requires almost no maintenance. Also pretty cheap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smart plugs are 100% the way to go. Alexa plugs, TP-Link/Kasa, et al. They'll all work well. Also means you won't have to make any adjustments for daylight savings time.

You could even break the photo period up into a couple different times of day if you wanted. Say, 6-10/7-11 AM so you can enjoy the tank when you're up and getting ready to leave for the day and then 4-8 PM so you can enjoy it once you get home in the evening. Adjust things to fit your lifestyle.

I have most of my freshwater tanks turn on from the time I wake up until midday. Then they kick on again when I'm mulling about in the evening or toward the end of my work day.

But for real - the window screen material is a lifesaver.

Do you have the Betta version of the Spec? The kind with reduced flow? Or is it just gushing out in a torrent into the tank? If the flow is weak enough, you could also consider adding some floating plants like Salvinia or Frogbit.

If it were me, I'd get a couple small Crytpocoryne for the front/sides of the tank and a ton of Java Fern or Needle Leaf/Narrow Leaf Java Fern for the back. Super-easy scape that requires almost no maintenance. Also pretty cheap.
Awesome, I'll have to look into setting those timers up this weekend while I do the water change and cleaning. The flow is adjustable and I have it on full flow right now pointing at the top of the water, but I can definitely weaken it a bit. They actually sold me the EBI shrimp kit for the betta since they didn't have anything else in stock at the moment (said things are really hard to come by right now). As for the plants, good idea....I needed a reason to go back to the local fish store haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts