The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I have both CBS and CRS shrimps since 4-5 months ago. I am experiencing high infant mortality problem and I would greatly appreciate it if I can benefit from your experiences. My shrimps become berried and the shrimplets hatch. They seem to be grazing fine for a few days but eventually they all die off. This has been happening for about 2 months now. A photo of my tank is attached. The details of the tank setup are:
10G using Fluval shrimp & plant substrate cycling since September 2015, Mopani driftwood (1) and Cholla wood (2)
Water: 40% tap water after Brita filter, 60% RO, with 10% water change per week
Parameters: pH=6.8, kH=1, gH=4, TDS=125, 72 deg F
Plants: Anacharis, Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Java Moss, Duckweed
Nitrate is practically non-measurable. The duckweed growing on the top of the tank has extra long roots further indicating very low nitrate level.
Feeding: ZooMed shrimp pellets every other day and Spirulina flakes once per week
Filtration: Hydro sponge filter #1 plus additional air stone for aeration and water movement
Lighting: Multii-spectrum, high Lumen LED on about 6-8 hrs per day
Other critters: no fish, only a handful of assassin snails
I have further noticed that the frequency of shrimps becoming berried is lowering. There is something that is not right but I cannot determine what it is. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using Seachem Equilibrium to re-mineralize. The reason I am mixing RO water with Brita-filtered tap water is that the driftwood in the tank lowers the pH too much. If I use 100% RO water, the pH is around 6. I live in Union City, California and the tap water (if I don't filter with Brita) comes out at pH=8.1. Immediately after filtering with Brita, the pH lowers to 6.5. After it sits for about a day, it goes back up to 7.0. So, if I use 50% tap water, the pH is around 6.8-6.9.
The Brita lowers tap water TDS from 146 to 120. And then I use Seachem Equilibrium to raise it to around 125-130. I guess on future 10% water changes, I will aim slightly higher TDS each time.
Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you have further suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was feeding Shirakura Crystal Shrimp baby food more than a month back when the shrimplets died off as fast as they were hatching. After reading up on another forum that as long as there is sufficient biofilm in the tank, I really did not have to feed the shrimplets special food. In the process of eliminating possible root causes, I stopped feeding Shirakura Crystal Shrimp Baby food.

I am using Fluval Plant and Shrimp substrate and Seachem Equilibrium remineralizer. Please suggest another remineralizer. It is best that I stick to what works for everyone else.

·
Registered
945 Posts
In my experience, just with cherries, I had more deaths than I should have had when using equilibrium. I switched to salty shrimp and the shrimp do much better now. If you have RO available I wouldn't even bother playing around with tap water mixes. CRS are much more sensitive to water parameters than cherries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brita filters are ion exchangers. They soften the water by exchanging the calcium ions for sodium. Not sure if the excess sodium affects shrimp, but I know its not good for fish. The filter also contain carbon which will remove heavy metals.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I personally remin with salty shrimp gh+ for my CRS. Maybe just switch to 100% RO water, and maybe get somsomething like bacter ae and just use very sparingly. I just dip about 1/4" of a wet toothpick and dose it directly wherever i see babies grazing. Besides that everything looks fine, I've been using the same substrate with success.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It is always best to use RO water and remineralize I use Salty shrimp GH plus with RO right.

I also use GlasGarten products

Tds should be in the 160 to 200 range.

I have a kh of 2 and a gh of 6

I also use a 60 gallon sponge on my 20 gallon long. Best to over filter to eliminate ammonia spikes from overfeeding.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had the same experience with equilibrium. I love the stuff for fish only tanks but my shrimp tanks get salt shrimp GH+ and some iodine. I also add 1/2 of an oyster shell tablet twice a month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the excellent inputs. They are very valuable. I will acquire a re-mineralizer that is shrimp specific and will gradually increase water TDS. For future water changes, I will use only RO water. I will also purchase some Bacter AE.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I will update this post in a month or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.