The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could ID the "zebra" striped fish in these pictures for me. Sorry the pics don't offer a clearer view! This fish was being offered at my LFS as a zebra pleco for $19.99. I'm guessing that's not accurate. Just curious what the fish actually is as I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
That is no pleco for sure...

Leporinus fasciatus

I noticed you're in Philly. May I ask which pet store you found it at? I just moved into the area recently and haven't had the chance to explore the local pet stores.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the ID! I was definitely surprised to see "zebra pleco" written on the tank. I even double-checked to make sure there wasn't one hiding in there somewhere (with its magical $19.99 price tag attached).

I'm not familiar with leporinus, but then I am a total newbie! The only reason I guessed that this fish wasn't a zebra pleco is because I've seen pics of zebras in my travels, think they're awesome, and have researched them a little (no plans to try acquiring one though).

Cardinal, I took the pic of this guy at Diane's Discount Pets in Pottstown. I've never bought fish there, just plants. Are you in or closer to Philly? I don't actually live in the city, so I don't know any places there... but I really like That Fish Place in Lancaster. It can be a haul depending on where you're coming from, but so worth it! There's Captain Nemo's in East Norriton, which is a big place, but I've heard rumors that they're closing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.