The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my stand painted and tank filled w/ water :D

im just looking for some suggestions on my hardscape now.

just 2 ways that i kinda liked and took pictures of. sorry the 2nd one is so far away :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
The second one is better; it draws the eye into the tank with its lines, where the horizontal one creates more of a wall.

Try adding in some rock work and play with the slope of the gravel some; it will improve things.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would adding whole quartz crystals to the water change the chemistry (i would think not, but im not 100% certain). because ive collected a few nice colonies over the years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quartz is very safe; it's silica. The worst you have to worry about is other compounds mixing in, but those all look pretty good. Microcrystaline quartz is what a lot of aquarium safe rock consists of, though it doesn't look like quartz per se.

I find the larger white quartz structures kind of tacky; too reminiscent of plastic gem stones and resin cast ornaments that bubble. It can be done to look good, but it's tricky.

The one in the middle looks good. Do you have more like it? Odd groups of stone tend to look good.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like the second driftwood setup. I like the uncut "jaggedness" of the third quartz pic.

Maybe try to get a few of them kind of protruding from the substrate so that it looks like they are forming in the tank. Of course, I have no idea what that would look like as I have no experience in doing so, just a thought.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive got some pink dolomite, and some small pieces of some K-spar....i guess ill just have to play around w/ it a bit to see what works.

thx for the tips :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts