The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some Goodea gracilis "Rio San Juan Del Rio" Miller collection in the USA . I have a small group but looking to add more for new genes. These fish are very rare and endangered in the wild. I am working with friends of mine to build up the numbers in captivity, keep them long term, help save them and keep them going. If anyone has any or know someone keeping them please let me know. My e-mail: Falcon034 at aol dot com. Thank you very much! Take care. Chris

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hey Chris! I'm not sure where you can find those Goodeids, but there's a " Freshwater Fish Preservation Aquarist Team" group on FB that seems to do a lot of Goodeid work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Chris! I'm not sure where you can find those Goodeids, but there's a " Freshwater Fish Preservation Aquarist Team" group on FB that seems to do a lot of Goodeid work.
Thank you very much for the reply and recommendation! The funny thing is, I started that FB group. Been rather busy lately but hope to put more focus/effort into it again as soon as I can. The only other source I have been able to find for these is overseas in Europe. Sent a group there a while back and they seem to be hanging on ok. Saw some sold on aquabid a few years back but it seems they are lost now. So far from what I know is they exist only with me and in Europe. Maybe still in the wild, hopefully they are still there. Thank you very much again! Take care 🙂🐟

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hmmm...the only other places I would know of, would be to get in contact with any labs that work with livebearers. Places like the Schlupp Lab, the Schumer lab, the XGSC in Texas, those places might have a better idea of who you might be able to contact. Mostly I've just worked with swordtails while in college, so I know about those places the most. I think there were a few universities in Mexico that might have a population, but that's hit or miss....

And I'm still waiting on that pipefish/freshwater syngnathid focus group! I need networking and connections so I can acquire Microphis and Doryichthys and popularize those in the States!!

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
The CARES network normally works with cichlids but they might know. I remember someone in my hometown of Houston who was a big fan of Goodeids and bred some rare ones. Maybe you can find him through google or through our facebook at Greater Houston Aquarist Club

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
The CARES network normally works with cichlids but they might know. I remember someone in my hometown of Houston who was a big fan of Goodeids and bred some rare ones. Maybe you can find him through google or through our facebook at Greater Houston Aquarist Club
Hmmm...the only other places I would know of, would be to get in contact with any labs that work with livebearers. Places like the Schlupp Lab, the Schumer lab, the XGSC in Texas, those places might have a better idea of who you might be able to contact. Mostly I've just worked with swordtails while in college, so I know about those places the most. I think there were a few universities in Mexico that might have a population, but that's hit or miss....

And I'm still waiting on that pipefish/freshwater syngnathid focus group! I need networking and connections so I can acquire Microphis and Doryichthys and popularize those in the States!!

Did you work at brackenridge field lab at UT austin perchance? They had a collection of rare swordtails I would visit and look at in some small concrete ponds

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Did you work at brackenridge field lab at UT austin perchance? They had a collection of rare swordtails I would visit and look at in some small concrete ponds
haha nope! Different lab working with northern swordtails!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts