The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Carotenoids add color to your fish, as @Plinkploop mentioned astaxanthin is one very common carotenoid, spirulina contains some very good stuff, and another is carotene. There are actually quite a few. Here is a whole paper on it.

Anyway your best bet is going to your local fish store and reading labels on the 'color enhancing' fish foods looking for carotenoids in the ingredients and hopefully finding more then one or two. I like bug bites (which only list their ingredients online somewhat annoyingly), and omega 1. There are MANY others. If you want to dive into the live food world there is a lot you can do to bring out color, but you need to devote space/tanks to raising live foods. This is definitely easiest outside but can be done indoors as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Repashy is a very cost effective nutritious powder where you add hot water to turn it into a gel that they love!! Store some in fridge & freezer for easy & healthy feeding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
317 Posts
I use Omega One flakes and they work great. I like how they list the exact species of fish in the ingredients. The first ingredient is salmon.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think it depends on what fish you're trying to color up.

Chili rasboras? Maybe something like golden pearls, live baby brine, and some repashy here and there.

Livebearers? Literally anything except large pellets (I'd do repashy).

Tetras? Anything except something like Repashy.

It depends on the fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.