The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get some Emerald Rasbora? I got them at Petco nearby my house, but they only get it once a week and it's not consistent. I'm looking to add more to make them more comfortable. Also, looking to add some more Pygmy Cory as well.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Anyone know where I can get some Emerald Rasbora? I got them at Petco nearby my house, but they only get it once a week and it's not consistent. I'm looking to add more to make them more comfortable. Also, looking to add some more Pygmy Cory as well.
The scientific name is Danio erythromicron, and its been reclassified as a Danio. So.... you will find it under the common name of Cross banded danio. Avoid keeping them with the Celestial Pearl danio, they can cross breed as they are closely related.

Aqua imports can get them, and in the past has usually had them in stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can get the Pygmy Corys at Fish Den. They had Corydoras habrosus, and Corydoras pygmaeus the last time I was there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scientific name is Danio erythromicron, and its been reclassified as a Danio. So.... you will find it under the common name of Cross banded danio. Avoid keeping them with the Celestial Pearl danio, they can cross breed as they are closely related.

Aqua imports can get them, and in the past has usually had them in stock.
Um don't know where you got celestial pearl danios when I didn't even mention them. Was asking where I can get the emeralds. People still call them that from what I know. I know what their scientific name is and the change they had. Thanks for the info though.

Bump:
You can get the Pygmy Corys at Fish Den. They had Corydoras habrosus, and Corydoras pygmaeus the last time I was there.
Do they always have them in stock? Seems like the place to go. Is it worth going? All the reviews I've read about them doesn't seem all that great. But they are pretty old reviews.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Um don't know where you got celestial pearl danios when I didn't even mention them. Was asking where I can get the emeralds. People still call them that from what I know. I know what their scientific name is and the change they had. Thanks for the info though.

Bump:

Do they always have them in stock? Seems like the place to go. Is it worth going? All the reviews I've read about them doesn't seem all that great. But they are pretty old reviews.

the info was just a quick warning regarding them, I have come across many people that want to keep them in the same tank. If you are at all concerned about hybrids popping up in the tank, then its a good tidbit to know about.

More and more people are moving to the newer common name, and of course the scientific name is good to know since sometimes common names get attached to multiple fish.

Aqua imports sometimes labels them as Emerald Rasbora, sometimes they label them as Cross banded danio, and sometimes they list them as danio erythromicron depending on which vendor they receive the shipment from.

If Fish Den does not have them, order through Aqua imports, no extra charge, they just add them onto the next fish order which happens every other week. You can choose as little as one fish, or as many as you want.

I personally have not been to fish den for a few years. Not that its a bad store, they just tend keep the bread and butter fish in stock all of the time and its a toss up on which more specialized fish they have at a time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the info was just a quick warning regarding them, I have come across many people that want to keep them in the same tank. If you are at all concerned about hybrids popping up in the tank, then its a good tidbit to know about.

More and more people are moving to the newer common name, and of course the scientific name is good to know since sometimes common names get attached to multiple fish.

Aqua imports sometimes labels them as Emerald Rasbora, sometimes they label them as Cross banded danio, and sometimes they list them as danio erythromicron depending on which vendor they receive the shipment from.

If Fish Den does not have them, order through Aqua imports, no extra charge, they just add them onto the next fish order which happens every other week. You can choose as little as one fish, or as many as you want.

I personally have not been to fish den for a few years. Not that its a bad store, they just tend keep the bread and butter fish in stock all of the time and its a toss up on which more specialized fish they have at a time.
Yeah that's really good to know for sure. I have them and pygmy Cories in my tank. Idk if I should really increase the amount I have since I am already fully stocked for my 10 gallon. I was just trying to add 2 more honestly. They seem so shy and only come out when the lights are out and nobody is near the tank. Do you think a black background would help?

They ship for locals? Or would it be in store pick up only? I honestly don't want to drive up to Boulder because of the distance. I'll definitely check out fish den on my day off.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Yeah that's really good to know for sure. I have them and pygmy Cories in my tank. Idk if I should really increase the amount I have since I am already fully stocked for my 10 gallon. I was just trying to add 2 more honestly. They seem so shy and only come out when the lights are out and nobody is near the tank. Do you think a black background would help?

They ship for locals? Or would it be in store pick up only? I honestly don't want to drive up to Boulder because of the distance. I'll definitely check out fish den on my day off.
These little guys have a very tiny bioload, you can get a ton more in a tank even after its "fully stocked". How many do you have now? They are a very shy species by nature. They come from an area of Myanmar where they live amongst roots and other debris in the lake. I found the dimmer you can make the tank the less shy they are. In a bright tank they will commonly seek the darkest part of the tank and huddle together. I have caught them out and about when nothing else was moving in the room I was in with them. At one point I had a nice breeding colony in a fluval flora, I think there were around 20 and they were less shy at that point as well. You can try to up the quantity slowly and keep an eye on your water parameters as you do so. My guess is that you can have dramatically more than you think you can. If you are going by the 1" of fish per gal. its an old measure of stocking, and really does not work in todays world with more efficient filters and a newer understanding of bio-loads. You also be getting a huge benefit from the live plants filtering the water.

Unfortunately you cannot have them shipped from Aqua imports to you, it would be an in-store pickup. You could also follow them on facebook, they post a list of the order online when its received in the store so you don't make any unneeded trips.

in my opinion, a black background on a tank with these little guys in the tank really makes the color pop. The deeper blue color of the stripes is just plain amazing. Once they get used to you and are in a high enough quantity in the tank they will slowly come out more to explore the tank. If you are able to keeping the tank in a low traffic area of the house would keep them from getting too spooked when people come through.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my 10 gallon tank, I have about 5 Emerald Danios, 5 Pygmy Corydoras and 4 Otocinclus Affinis. I did have a HG, which died, and a pygmy that didn't make it after I got him from the LFS. The pygmy just randomly lost color on the 3rd day and died the next day afterwards. It was weird. I am also going to quarantine the tank, once I get the medication to make sure the other fish didn't get what the HG had. He had a stringy white feces, which I guess in my research it was an internal parasite. I figured I get them all quarantined.

I definitely want to up the count on both Pygmy and Emeralds so that way they are more comfortable. My light is pretty bright and I do see them come to the front of the tank when I am not near the tank. Also, noticed I can't seem to find the 5th Emerald, I don't ever see him/her with the rest hoping he/she didn't die and its rotting somewhere wedged in the stones.
BTW, how can I go about adding the black background since I already have the tank set up? I can't really move the tank, but I have just in enough space to possibly add a background...

These little guys have a very tiny bioload, you can get a ton more in a tank even after its "fully stocked". How many do you have now? They are a very shy species by nature. They come from an area of Myanmar where they live amongst roots and other debris in the lake. I found the dimmer you can make the tank the less shy they are. In a bright tank they will commonly seek the darkest part of the tank and huddle together. I have caught them out and about when nothing else was moving in the room I was in with them. At one point I had a nice breeding colony in a fluval flora, I think there were around 20 and they were less shy at that point as well. You can try to up the quantity slowly and keep an eye on your water parameters as you do so. My guess is that you can have dramatically more than you think you can. If you are going by the 1" of fish per gal. its an old measure of stocking, and really does not work in todays world with more efficient filters and a newer understanding of bio-loads. You also be getting a huge benefit from the live plants filtering the water.

Unfortunately you cannot have them shipped from Aqua imports to you, it would be an in-store pickup. You could also follow them on facebook, they post a list of the order online when its received in the store so you don't make any unneeded trips.

in my opinion, a black background on a tank with these little guys in the tank really makes the color pop. The deeper blue color of the stripes is just plain amazing. Once they get used to you and are in a high enough quantity in the tank they will slowly come out more to explore the tank. If you are able to keeping the tank in a low traffic area of the house would keep them from getting too spooked when people come through.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I would easily triple your total to 15 only 5 at time though to let your beneficial bacteria grow to cope.. They will feel a bit more comfortable, and may wander out a bit more. If there is any way to lower the light levels some or add some floating plants without sacrificing the other plants. I generally am not that great at diagnosing fish illnesses, so I wont be able to help you much there. Sounds like you may be on the right path though. It might be a good idea to grab a 5.5-10 gal. aquarium and a sponge filter to use as a QT tank or hospital tank in case you get newer fish. Its always a great idea to quarantine them for a few weeks before putting them in the main tank. I learned the hard way and passed ich onto about 30 fish in a 36g aquarium once. was not fun, nor cheap to combat.

For the black background, you can go to any art supply store and grab some black core board (foam board etc.) and cut it to fit between the top and bottom frame of the tank. use the front as a template. worked great on a couple previous tanks. The benefit is that you can change color easily if you tire of the black.

In my 10 gallon tank, I have about 5 Emerald Danios, 5 Pygmy Corydoras and 4 Otocinclus Affinis. I did have a HG, which died, and a pygmy that didn't make it after I got him from the LFS. The pygmy just randomly lost color on the 3rd day and died the next day afterwards. It was weird. I am also going to quarantine the tank, once I get the medication to make sure the other fish didn't get what the HG had. He had a stringy white feces, which I guess in my research it was an internal parasite. I figured I get them all quarantined.

I definitely want to up the count on both Pygmy and Emeralds so that way they are more comfortable. My light is pretty bright and I do see them come to the front of the tank when I am not near the tank. Also, noticed I can't seem to find the 5th Emerald, I don't ever see him/her with the rest hoping he/she didn't die and its rotting somewhere wedged in the stones.
BTW, how can I go about adding the black background since I already have the tank set up? I can't really move the tank, but I have just in enough space to possibly add a background...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only downside for me is that I can't set up another tank since I don't have anymore room to place another QT. I'll just have to just quarantine the entire tank. If I do add the fish I'll probably do that first before I start dosing the medication.

I'll definitely check out an art supply store and cut out a black background. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for your tips.

Also, I'll probably just add 5 more Emerald Danios and 5 more Pygmy Corydoras. I just don't want my 10 gallon to be too crowded for the fish. Floating plants is a good idea. I do have some pennywort that I have floating, but they just end up going to the other side of the tank and don't really give out too much shade.

One thing I do notice is that when I have my spray bar set up kind of like a HOB where the water trickles the thread like green algae starts to maintain itself, it doesn't grow long and crazy, but when I have it under water (no trickle with less oxygen diffusion) I notice that it gets worse. What can I do to get rid of all if not almost all of it? I'm sick of it coming back. Also, GSA is a PITA, keeps coming back no matter what I do. Any tips??

I would easily triple your total to 15 only 5 at time though to let your beneficial bacteria grow to cope.. They will feel a bit more comfortable, and may wander out a bit more. If there is any way to lower the light levels some or add some floating plants without sacrificing the other plants. I generally am not that great at diagnosing fish illnesses, so I wont be able to help you much there. Sounds like you may be on the right path though. It might be a good idea to grab a 5.5-10 gal. aquarium and a sponge filter to use as a QT tank or hospital tank in case you get newer fish. Its always a great idea to quarantine them for a few weeks before putting them in the main tank. I learned the hard way and passed ich onto about 30 fish in a 36g aquarium once. was not fun, nor cheap to combat.

For the black background, you can go to any art supply store and grab some black core board (foam board etc.) and cut it to fit between the top and bottom frame of the tank. use the front as a template. worked great on a couple previous tanks. The benefit is that you can change color easily if you tire of the black.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Quarentine tanks are generally a temporary setup, only used when a fish is sick, or for a few weeks after purchasing new fish, It then gets torn down until next time. You quickly cycle it by using some old filter media that is stored in the filter of the show tank. There are some meds used to treat illnesses that if used in your main tank will kill all of the beneficial bacteria in the filter causing you to cycle the tank from scratch, as well as some meds that will kill plants. I highly recommend one.

For shoaling fish, there really is no such thing as crowding. they live in large groups in the wild for safety, and they feel much safer in a close group. If you get a chance, talk to BruceH (I think that is his screen name on the forums,) he generally has some of the larger floaters around, he will certainly be at the auction on sat. My bet is that they are moving to the side of the tank with either the lowest flow, or the farthest from normal movements.

The foam board works like a charm, and easily replaceable.

For the algae, Its too much light / not enough fertilizers. You can choose to lower your light levels a bit, or to start adding (or add more) fertilizers. GSA is a lack of potassium, and green string algae can be fixed by adding more co2 (or seachem excel) What plants do you have in the tank currently? you can think of a planted tank like this. Light is the motor, and the fertilizers are the fuel. the more light, the more fuel you need, and in the right amounts. If you have too much light, you lack fuel and algae takes over. Too much fuel, and not enough light and nothing happens. So, if your after a low light tank, raise your light up a bit from the top of the tank for a couple weeks and see if things get better. Watch your plants growth and see if they are still growing. The reason for the algae getting worse when you put the spray bar under water is pretty simple. Your shutting down the gas exchange that happens at the water surface. IE the transfer of oxygen into the water as well as the transfer of co2 into the water.

Give that a go and see if it helps.

Only downside for me is that I can't set up another tank since I don't have anymore room to place another QT. I'll just have to just quarantine the entire tank. If I do add the fish I'll probably do that first before I start dosing the medication.

I'll definitely check out an art supply store and cut out a black background. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for your tips.

Also, I'll probably just add 5 more Emerald Danios and 5 more Pygmy Corydoras. I just don't want my 10 gallon to be too crowded for the fish. Floating plants is a good idea. I do have some pennywort that I have floating, but they just end up going to the other side of the tank and don't really give out too much shade.

One thing I do notice is that when I have my spray bar set up kind of like a HOB where the water trickles the thread like green algae starts to maintain itself, it doesn't grow long and crazy, but when I have it under water (no trickle with less oxygen diffusion) I notice that it gets worse. What can I do to get rid of all if not almost all of it? I'm sick of it coming back. Also, GSA is a PITA, keeps coming back no matter what I do. Any tips??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will dosing metroplex cause me to cycle my tank again? I've read somewhere that it doesn't do anything to the BB and can be removed with Carbon. I will definitely see if I can at least set up a 5 gallon tank or something a little bigger as a QT if it causes a restart in my cycle.

I've been dosing 3ml of excel everyday for the past couple weeks now. And the plant growth is definitely a lot better and speedier imo. I'm assuming I may have too much light maybe? I do have ADA Aquasoil that I recently put in a few months back as well. I figured that would be enough since I did add some API Root tabs (crushed up 5 tabs) and added 5 tabs of osmocote plus. The recent plants that I added a few days ago already started to grow new roots as well. I have Crypts, Amazon sword, s. repens, anubias, ludwigia repens, pennywort, anubias and java moss. The most recent plants that I've added was tissue cultured crypt wendtii bronze. The reason why I haven't dosed Seachem Flourish was because I had pretty high Nitrates it was pretty red in color when using the API test kit. ranging from 40ppm or higher. But it did have a tint of orange. Should I be adding more osmocote plus and start adding seachem flourish to the water column as well? If so, how often?

Also, the light that I have is a Beamswork Led 0.5 watt 33 LEDS. 3 actinic and 30 10000K led bulbs. I figured this was more of a low to medium light set up. The lumen is rated for at least 1500 when I did the conversion states 25 watts. So idk, how else to tell how strong my light is. I'm still a beginner and I don't really know how to get an estimate PAR.

I do notice that the Emeralds hang out away from the water flow and right near the intake from my canister filter. If I do see the petco near my house have emeralds and pygmy cories I'll probably buy all of them. The guys tends to get 6 of each, but it's not always consistent. For them being farthest away from movements is that due to my water flow being too high for the Emeralds? The Pygmy seem to love going against the current.

Quarentine tanks are generally a temporary setup, only used when a fish is sick, or for a few weeks after purchasing new fish, It then gets torn down until next time. You quickly cycle it by using some old filter media that is stored in the filter of the show tank. There are some meds used to treat illnesses that if used in your main tank will kill all of the beneficial bacteria in the filter causing you to cycle the tank from scratch, as well as some meds that will kill plants. I highly recommend one.

For shoaling fish, there really is no such thing as crowding. they live in large groups in the wild for safety, and they feel much safer in a close group. If you get a chance, talk to BruceH (I think that is his screen name on the forums,) he generally has some of the larger floaters around, he will certainly be at the auction on sat. My bet is that they are moving to the side of the tank with either the lowest flow, or the farthest from normal movements.

The foam board works like a charm, and easily replaceable.

For the algae, Its too much light / not enough fertilizers. You can choose to lower your light levels a bit, or to start adding (or add more) fertilizers. GSA is a lack of potassium, and green string algae can be fixed by adding more co2 (or seachem excel) What plants do you have in the tank currently? you can think of a planted tank like this. Light is the motor, and the fertilizers are the fuel. the more light, the more fuel you need, and in the right amounts. If you have too much light, you lack fuel and algae takes over. Too much fuel, and not enough light and nothing happens. So, if your after a low light tank, raise your light up a bit from the top of the tank for a couple weeks and see if things get better. Watch your plants growth and see if they are still growing. The reason for the algae getting worse when you put the spray bar under water is pretty simple. Your shutting down the gas exchange that happens at the water surface. IE the transfer of oxygen into the water as well as the transfer of co2 into the water.

Give that a go and see if it helps.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I think your ok with that med, but in the future there may be even nastier things you could come across that require heavier treatments that can harm your filters bacteria.

You may still have too much light, try raising it an inch or so and see if the algae and plants respond the way you want. Your soil fertilizers seem ok, some plants like your ludwigia gather the majority of their fertilizers from the water column. Those of us who run high light tanks dose dry fertilizers into the water column, which gets mixed in with the water. the Green spot algae is a lack of potassium. You could try dosing some Flourish Potassium and see if that starts to alleviate you of the GSA. For a 10 gal. low light tank the liquid fertilizers are ok. If you go larger you will need to start in with the dry fertilizers, they will cost much less in the long run.

There are three main fertilizers you add to the water column that fall into two catagories. Macro, and Micro. The macro fertz. are Nitrogen, and Potassium, and your micro or trace elements are a mixture of light fertilizers like iron, copper, magnesium. etc. All of them are needed for good growth. So, in order to combat one type of algae, you need to know which lack of what will cause it to grow. most of the time co2 or too much light is the culprit. I think if you add some of the potassium to the water column and raise your light 1-2" you will find it slowing down. your plants are not all to demanding plants, and should do well under a little lower light. The growth will slow some, but that's not a huge issue.

Will dosing metroplex cause me to cycle my tank again? I've read somewhere that it doesn't do anything to the BB and can be removed with Carbon. I will definitely see if I can at least set up a 5 gallon tank or something a little bigger as a QT if it causes a restart in my cycle.

I've been dosing 3ml of excel everyday for the past couple weeks now. And the plant growth is definitely a lot better and speedier imo. I'm assuming I may have too much light maybe? I do have ADA Aquasoil that I recently put in a few months back as well. I figured that would be enough since I did add some API Root tabs (crushed up 5 tabs) and added 5 tabs of osmocote plus. The recent plants that I added a few days ago already started to grow new roots as well. I have Crypts, Amazon sword, s. repens, anubias, ludwigia repens, pennywort, anubias and java moss. The most recent plants that I've added was tissue cultured crypt wendtii bronze. The reason why I haven't dosed Seachem Flourish was because I had pretty high Nitrates it was pretty red in color when using the API test kit. ranging from 40ppm or higher. But it did have a tint of orange. Should I be adding more osmocote plus and start adding seachem flourish to the water column as well? If so, how often?

Also, the light that I have is a Beamswork Led 0.5 watt 33 LEDS. 3 actinic and 30 10000K led bulbs. I figured this was more of a low to medium light set up. The lumen is rated for at least 1500 when I did the conversion states 25 watts. So idk, how else to tell how strong my light is. I'm still a beginner and I don't really know how to get an estimate PAR.

I do notice that the Emeralds hang out away from the water flow and right near the intake from my canister filter. If I do see the petco near my house have emeralds and pygmy cories I'll probably buy all of them. The guys tends to get 6 of each, but it's not always consistent. For them being farthest away from movements is that due to my water flow being too high for the Emeralds? The Pygmy seem to love going against the current.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you saying I'm okay to dose in the water column with that medication or better to soak the flake foods into it? Just want to confirm before I do something I'll regret.

Only problem is now is figuring out how I can go about raising the light up. The light came with legs so I guess I can use that and see if I can hang it onto something. Not too sure what though.

I'm definitely going to try dosing the water column, but not excessively. I'm trying to grow these plants without using too much fertilizers. Trying to do less is more. I'll probably stop dosing excel once I use up the bottle. I wanna keep this tank as low tech as possible.

I think your ok with that med, but in the future there may be even nastier things you could come across that require heavier treatments that can harm your filters bacteria.

You may still have too much light, try raising it an inch or so and see if the algae and plants respond the way you want. Your soil fertilizers seem ok, some plants like your ludwigia gather the majority of their fertilizers from the water column. Those of us who run high light tanks dose dry fertilizers into the water column, which gets mixed in with the water. the Green spot algae is a lack of potassium. You could try dosing some Flourish Potassium and see if that starts to alleviate you of the GSA. For a 10 gal. low light tank the liquid fertilizers are ok. If you go larger you will need to start in with the dry fertilizers, they will cost much less in the long run.

There are three main fertilizers you add to the water column that fall into two catagories. Macro, and Micro. The macro fertz. are Nitrogen, and Potassium, and your micro or trace elements are a mixture of light fertilizers like iron, copper, magnesium. etc. All of them are needed for good growth. So, in order to combat one type of algae, you need to know which lack of what will cause it to grow. most of the time co2 or too much light is the culprit. I think if you add some of the potassium to the water column and raise your light 1-2" you will find it slowing down. your plants are not all to demanding plants, and should do well under a little lower light. The growth will slow some, but that's not a huge issue.

Side Note: I just bought the last 4 pygmy cories today. Looks like they are schooling a little more closer together since I up the count. I see they like to swim around with the Emeralds too.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
if they are external parasites its ok to dose the water column, if they are internal parasites I would soak the food.

I am sure you will come up with a solution for raising the lights. Some use wood blocks, some use aircraft cable you can get from lowes or home depot and hang the light from the ceiling, and some make DIY light bars to hang it from.

I have a feeling with this light level if you stop all fertilizers you will end up with an algae mess. Find a way to raise the light off the tank and see how they do. the plants without a good source of fertilizers will not do as well. dosing the water column helps stem plants the most, but the rosette plants will get benefit as well. Stocking heavy will also help and keep you from having to dose as much in the way of fertilizers. the co2 or co2 substitute (which excel is) is going to be a harder thing to compensate for unless you can get your light level balanced enough to keep the algae at bay, and the plants still growing.

Cory and the emeralds are both very social creatures, so adding more is always going to make them happy and less skittish.

Are you saying I'm okay to dose in the water column with that medication or better to soak the flake foods into it? Just want to confirm before I do something I'll regret.

Only problem is now is figuring out how I can go about raising the light up. The light came with legs so I guess I can use that and see if I can hang it onto something. Not too sure what though.

I'm definitely going to try dosing the water column, but not excessively. I'm trying to grow these plants without using too much fertilizers. Trying to do less is more. I'll probably stop dosing excel once I use up the bottle. I wanna keep this tank as low tech as possible.

Side Note: I just bought the last 4 pygmy cories today. Looks like they are schooling a little more closer together since I up the count. I see they like to swim around with the Emeralds too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll probably mix the medication in with the food. And feed it to the fish since they are still eating.

I jut need to figured out how I'm going to raise up the lights. I just broke my glass top this morning.

Yeah, I'll definitely be adding more Emeralds here soon. The pygmy look a lot better in bigger groups of 5. I have 9 right now and they are going crazy. It's nice to watch them.

if they are external parasites its ok to dose the water column, if they are internal parasites I would soak the food.

I am sure you will come up with a solution for raising the lights. Some use wood blocks, some use aircraft cable you can get from lowes or home depot and hang the light from the ceiling, and some make DIY light bars to hang it from.

I have a feeling with this light level if you stop all fertilizers you will end up with an algae mess. Find a way to raise the light off the tank and see how they do. the plants without a good source of fertilizers will not do as well. dosing the water column helps stem plants the most, but the rosette plants will get benefit as well. Stocking heavy will also help and keep you from having to dose as much in the way of fertilizers. the co2 or co2 substitute (which excel is) is going to be a harder thing to compensate for unless you can get your light level balanced enough to keep the algae at bay, and the plants still growing.

Cory and the emeralds are both very social creatures, so adding more is always going to make them happy and less skittish.
Bump: I'll probably mix the medication in with the food. And feed it to the fish since they are still eating.

I jut need to figured out how I'm going to raise up the lights. I just broke my glass top this morning.

Yeah, I'll definitely be adding more Emeralds here soon. The pygmy look a lot better in bigger groups of 5. I have 9 right now and they are going crazy. It's nice to watch them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Aquatic Arts usually has them available for mail order. I haven't purchased from this company; found out about them via a talk at the local aquarium club. Just know they have these fish.

Not sure what the forum rules are about posting links; can find them easily with an internet search.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aquatic Arts usually has them available for mail order. I haven't purchased from this company; found out about them via a talk at the local aquarium club. Just know they have these fish.

Not sure what the forum rules are about posting links; can find them easily with an internet search.
I swear, every good fish store is far.. hahaha.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I swear, every good fish store is far.. hahaha.

Yea, they tend to be. I live up in Thornton which is actually quite reasonable distance to most of them, except "the fish crew" up in Ft. Collins lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts