The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to re-scape my tank in a little while. I'm seeking some large, branching, whirling driftwood to create a really dynamic look.

There's a lot of options on Ebay, which I'm keeping a close eye on.

I do know that some of you have made special requests to AquaForest? Is that correct?

Where do you all go to find such amazing pieces?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
ebaY has been getting some crazy bidders of late.

this 15" x20" piece just went for over $140 shipped !

you can probably save money by getting a bundle of
smaller pieces and making a large arrangement out of
them, instead of getting one honk-in centerpiece.
you'll also save on shipping that way as well.

keep in mind that once you grow in enough plants,
you way end up removing your wood altogether to
make more plant-able space. I tried all kinds of wood,
and now keep it all dry on a shelf to keep all the room
in the tank for my two dozen different plant species.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that piece on Ebay! There's a few sellers on there who are selling 4-5 piece lots, which seem to have some potential. It's a hard call to make; I'm doing the math to see which sizes and dimensions would fit my 125g tank.

I looked at the Manzanita site and can't find any individual pictures. I'd probably have to contact them to find specifics.

·
Registered
144 Posts
depending on your local laws (or their enforcement) you can find some great peices at local lakes. I got some fantastic large and small bits at my lake. I went to the shore and found the root bundles that were left behind from trees that died and broke off in the water. You get some very interesting shapes with holes and random branches.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My order from manzanita.com. $42-shipped. You have to soak this stuff, but IMO, it's worth it. It takes about a week to become neg buoyant, and a month to bleed 95% of the tannins out. Quite a bang-for-the-buck if you are willing to do the work.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check out the laws for collecting from my local lakes. I must say, I'm very paranoid of what might "come in" with collected pieces.

unirdna -- WOW what a score. They sure are beautiful! How do you go about creating a hardscape with them? Piecing them together, etc?

·
Registered
623 Posts
whats the process you all put your driftwood through.

I scavenged the beach here yesterday and found lots of cool pieces.
What do you do to sterilize them and what do you do to make them sink?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
unirdna -- WOW what a score. They sure are beautiful! How do you go about creating a hardscape with them? Piecing them together, etc?
Sometimes you get lucky and pieces lock together nicely. Usually, you need to use tank walls and substrate to hold things in place. I highly recommend using many pieces instead of one. It allows the creativity to flow.....

....of course, I'll not show you my final aquascape ;). You'll have to keep your eyes on the photo album - my new journal will be showing up in about a month :).

Ted

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
....of course, I'll not show you my final aquascape ;). You'll have to keep your eyes on the photo album - my new journal will be showing up in about a month :).

Ted

GOODNESS! Point taken! That's exactly the look I'm trying for. Nice work, BTW. It gives me a feel for what can be accomplished. I appreciate your visual help!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Ted, what's the diameter on the thicker pieces? They look much better than the twigs, IMHO.
The bigger pieces are around 1.5-2.0 inches wide. Looking at the last photo, that large piece on the left side - bottom is about 3 inches diameter. My new tank size is 90cm, so the towel below the wood is always set at 90x45cm (36" x 18" - 50g). That should give you a good frame of reference.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unirdna,

So, when you ordered from them, did you just contact saying... "hi I want x-amount pieces"? I'm getting a game plan in the works, here. :wink:

Thanks again for contributing! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Jessica,

You don't have to go through the PIA of putting together an order. Manzanita Burlworks has two "aquarium packages" - large ($75) and small ($30). Mine was the "small". Navigate to the telephone # on their contact page. Chances are Rich will take your order. I used my CC over the phone. Very easy.

The wood you'll receive is luck-o-the-draw, but it seems that Rich makes sure you get one or two trophy pieces, and a wide variety of sizes and shapes. And boy do they know how to ship it! Using only the wood pieces, intertwined, inside the box, the package was shipped via UPS (not the gentlest of shipping companies) from the West Coast to Wisconsin......and I didn't even have one broken twig. I was shocked.

Retoid,

Great looking stuff for nano tanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just spoke to Rich. He was amazing and is sending me half an aquarium package since I have only a 20 inch cube. He really has good feelings about his planted tank customers even tho we are a fraction of his business. I told him he could sell presoaked manzanita at a premium :)

I am very happy so far with this transaction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts