The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I'm about to move my fishes from my old, 60P aquarium to my new, high tech, hardscaped tank. I was thinking if there's anything to look out for, can I make the move at once, or should I make the move type-by-type and wait between them?

Fishes:
  • 6 Neon Tetras
  • 5 Otos
  • 6 Guppies
  • 9 Dwarf rasboras
  • 4 Salt & Pepper corys

The new tank is cycled now, it'll have its 2 week ending tomorrow. Both nitrite and ammonia dropped to 0, and every other water param seems to be fine also. My current thought is to move the 5 Otos first. Any other ideas/advices?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think it might be difficult to move them type by type. For example, as you try to fish out the otos, you may end up stressing the other fish out. Personally I would do 5-10 fish (any fish you can catch easily) per week to minimize stress on the other inhabitants.

If you do decide to do them all at once, I've had the most success with catching fish when I remove the majority of the decor during the day, then attempt to net the fish at like 11pm at night, when they're "sleeping".

·
Registered
349 Posts
The nighttime fish netting is a good practice. It's how I was able to get a dozen tetras and chilie rasboras out of a heavily planted tank.

If you are going to move them in batches, the guppies are a good first choice.. they are easier to catch, and they are very hardy. I'd do the otos last, since they do better with more algae and biofilm, which is usually not there in a fresh set up..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts