The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Odyssea fixture (ballast & fan have been replaced some time ago). It has 2 x 96w PC - one is actinic. This is on a 65g planted tank.

I keep low/med light plants (crypts, vals, anubius). My focus is a fish tank with plants, not a planted tnak with fish (if you know what I mean :D). I don't run Co2.

I'd like to replace this fixture with T5's. I know that one of the 96 watts I'm running right know is useless because it's actinic (it's not helping the plants). So I essentially have 96watts (10k) over 65g.

I was looking at the 36" Nova Extreme T5 FW fixture (39w x 2). But I see that one of the bulbs is red. Does this help plant growth?

I'm also a little concerned to go from 96w to a total of 78w (if the red bulb counts). Does it matter that it's going from PC to T5 (is the output the same?)? I suppose that's not a huge drop as long as I still count the red bulb for plant growth.

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
The pink plant bulbs produce the parts of the color spectrum conducive to photosynthesis.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great, thanks! Looks like I'll be doing some shopping :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Nova Extreme light fixtures don't have particularly good reflectors - they aren't wide enough to be as good as most T5HO reflectors. So, I think you will have about the right amount of light for what you want with a 2 x 39 watt version of that light, for the lower light plants you want to grow, so you can concentrate on the fish. To be sure, be sure to get the legs for the light so you can raise it up a few inches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts