The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here’s a question I’d like advice on: this is a new tank setup, I have a ReefBreeders Photon 50 v2, each led color can be independently programmed.

It is a 24” deep tank stocked with:
Vallisneria
Java fern
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Aponogeton crispus
Tiger Lotus
Dwarf aquarium lily
Amazon Sword

No CO2, planning to fertilize with easy green (and root tabs occasionally)

the manufacturer recommended for planted tanks to keep the Lights: blue, dark blue, and violet at 18% of the W/G/R set percentage. I don’t really have a clue as to where to start as my base % for white/green/red.

I currently have it set for 6 hrs with max values (ramping up and down ) with white at 50%, red and green 35%. Both blues at 10% and no violet.

I really have no clue where to start, any advice much appreciated.

so, what % value would you recommend for each color and what length of time?

· Registered
424 Posts
I really have no clue where to start, any advice much appreciated.
I don't think there are many people here with 42" deep tanks. And then using reef light for lighting. Tank is way too deep and light spectrum is not great for planted tanks, it is all blue. Blue is great for growing algae but not so great for plants and for their visual appearance. If you are dead set to use these for the planted tank then just set the light to whatever visually looks the best to you, IMHO it'll not make much difference to the plants. Pulling this off will be a challenge. :)

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, it’s a typo, fixed it (24” deep).
The light came with the tank, I figured since I can customize the blue and violet as low as needed that a good spectrum would be doable?

· Registered
13,292 Posts
You have 124 watts of " not blue".
60" long.
42" deep
Normal mounting height is 8".
At like 50" total Is can't imagine much light making it to the bottom at 124 watts.

Add 100% channel 5 ( reg blue)..
48 more watts.
Dim to taste at this point.
Sooo 172 theoretical watts is about the best for a "" normal" fw spectrum.

You can play with the rb ( plenty in the white diodes) and violets as you see fit.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll throw this out again for any suggestions? The tank is 24” deep and tall
Original post had a typo. What would anyone run for percentages on a low to medium light stocking with no CO2?

thanks

· Registered
5 Posts
I like to keep W&R at my max value needed, G half of that, and B only about 15% of W&R. This gives a warm color, but will produce excellent growth. For those plants, sometimes a longer duration at lower power will do better than a short duration at high power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts