The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a substitute for Rotala. My Various Rotala just don't grow pretty like I see in pictures and videos. Maybe because I use pool filter sand? Any suggestions would be great. I do not like Bacopa caroliniana or Bacopa Monnieri.

Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
What about Ludwigia? I have Ludwigia Ovalis in a low tech setup but with high light, and root tabs. I do have a dirted tank but this has been running for about 3 years. I also use a general purpose fertilizer, Thrive+ for shrimp about once or twice a week.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about Ludwigia? I have Ludwigia Ovalis in a low tech setup but with high light, and root tabs. I do have a dirted tank but this has been running for about 3 years. I also use a general purpose fertilizer, Thrive+ for shrimp about once or twice a week.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for responding. I do like them, but they get so tall for my tank. I've tried Repens and it is kinda lackluster in my setup. Ovalis looks awesome though. I should probably try it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dirt is really fun an exciting to watch the rampant growth that comes with it. I would say +1 for dirt of you plan to leave it alone.

If you a a member is the SRA (Serial Re-scapers Association) like myself, it may not be the best choice. You need to set dirt and leave it alone; or, be pretty clever in how you uproot something. If you want to re-scape, and move things around, better to go with one of the nutrient rich substrates that is more fungible.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'll assume you want your Rotala to be red, that really takes some intense lighting, CO2, Nitrate reduction and sufficient Iron and Phosphate rich root tabs. I'm not sure if Ludigia Natans Red would work in it's stead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll assume you want your Rotala to be red, that really takes some intense lighting, CO2, Nitrate reduction and sufficient Iron and Phosphate rich root tabs. I'm not sure if Ludigia Natans Red would work in it's stead.
I'd settle for slightly pink, but that's not happening! Sadly, every time I push my lights, boom, green water.

This is the best I can get it to look so far. Seems sickly and leggy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Have you had your water tested? Are you using tap water? Green water sounds like lots of Ammonia/Ammonium.

I can squeak out olives and pinks from my Rotala Green and OJ with our funky water. Largely controlling Nitrates and providing the plants with enough iron is my limitations.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you had your water tested? Are you using tap water? Green water sounds like lots of Ammonia/Ammonium.

I can squeak out olives and pinks from my Rotala Green and OJ with our funky water. Largely controlling Nitrates and providing the plants with enough iron is my limitations.
I use RO/DI. I've added more biological filtration but not sure where it's coming from. 50% water changes, and no visible detritus or mulm anywhere.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
When I read Reverse Osmosis/DeIonizing I wonder if you aren't using a sodium exchange deionizer to prefilter the water before it goes through the Reverse Osmosis part? Is your water really hard out of tap without the filters? And that's why you have a DeIonizer?

You might be stripping out the Calcium and Magnesium that your plants need to grow well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I read Reverse Osmosis/DeIonizing I wonder if you aren't using a sodium exchange deionizer to prefilter the water before it goes through the Reverse Osmosis part? Is your water really hard out of tap without the filters? And that's why you have a DeIonizer?

You might be stripping out the Calcium and Magnesium that your plants need to grow well.
It's hard out of the tap. I mineralize to 4GH and 1.5KH. I just use Ca and Mg 2:1 and potassium carbonate for KH.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Is it city water? Can you get a breakdown on what's in it from the water treatment people? You might be better off adding some of what's in the tap water to your remineralizing additions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it city water? Can you get a breakdown on what's in it from the water treatment people? You might be better off adding some of what's in the tap water to your remineralizing additions.
I don't think I want to add anything from the city to my fish tanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts