The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I posted here a couple of times a few years back about some anubias plants I had planted. The problem is that they came with a snail infestation that I still have until today.

I want to add a specific type of plant to my 265 gallon Malawi Hap tank.
The plant has tall slender leafs that are not bunched together so they grow nice and tall and larger fish can swim through them. I want them to make the tank look more natural.
The substrate I use is sand and the water is hard and ph is high. I use LED lamps to light the tank for about 8 hours every day.

And I don't want another snail infestation with it.

So I'd like to know what plant fits the bill and where I could buy them. And if there is anything special they need to survive.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, a few more questions:

Would i need to place root tabs in the sand near the base of the plant regularly forever?
When the plant gets too large can I prune it from the top?
What about snails?

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Thanks, a few more questions:

Would i need to place root tabs in the sand near the base of the plant regularly forever?
When the plant gets too large can I prune it from the top?
What about snails?

Thanks,
Ted
Probably need to place root tabs at there bases every 3-4 months or so. RootMedic has a great line of fertilizer capsules. Yep leaves can be trimmed from the top or larger plants pulled and sold to let the smaller ones grow. You only need to worry about snails if the tank they come from has snails then there are several options like bleach dips, potassium pergonate(sp?) dip, etc. Lots of information on ridding snails just use the search feature.

Craig

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Jungle vals like hard water too. Root tabs are helpful, and the Root Medic ones are really good. Be careful though, in good conditions jungle vals can grow very quickly!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Pretty much all plants will have snails on them. If you want you can create a dip for the plants that will kill snails but it's not too great for the plants either. If you ask me it's pretty much impossible to keep snails out of a tank without obsessive control, and even then it's hard. Honestly they're not that bad, and only eat dying plant matter.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Pretty much all plants will have snails on them. If you want you can create a dip for the plants that will kill snails but it's not too great for the plants either. If you ask me it's pretty much impossible to keep snails out of a tank without obsessive control, and even then it's hard. Honestly they're not that bad, and only eat dying plant matter.
I have a snail free tank o.0 so this is news to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.